+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Noise Testing Results (Muffler Comparison)

Throw money at the problem? Not quite what you'd think at first glance. That Yoshimura CF muffler didn't cost us anything but about $.10 in rivets and about 15 minutes in labor. Since it was damaged beyond being able to use on a bike, it was free with with one of our car kits! Looks good and sounds good!!

In spite of...

alum, you'd still have to put that yoshi muffler in the cost report, and 700$ dollars for something you don't really want on the car but have to have there is excessive in my opinion. We made ours ourselves out of cf and stainless steel, total cost of 125$ in the report

Yeah...I hate that damn cost report... We reported half of it since we only used half of it! I'm not saying our choice was better or worse than anybody elses...juas that we did it that particular way and it worked for us, that's all. Had we had the time, I'm sure we would have made one ourselves too. Yeah..our cost report was horrible but that's a completely different story!

In spite of...

This exhaust header is an interesting concept, and it yields tremendous power gains to stock bikes.

http://www.hardracing.com/Exhaust%20...ronSerpent.htm

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> We ran a stock GSX-R muffler and measured 108.9db at 11000rpm <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We did the same, and it took us 3 tries to pass. Stock GSX-R, 11000rpm, 108.9dB.

-------------------------
    UVIC Formula SAE Team

http://uvic.fsae.ca

we built our own straight though muffler:
    first try 111 db
    repack 1: 117db
    repack 2: 107 db

(10500 rpm)

-Matthew Hetler
    hetl0020@umn.edu

We passed sound with a little over 109 with a Vance and Hines SS2-R muffler. It was repacked with some special packing that I found. As a side note I believe this to be the slimmest commonly availible muffler you can buy. It is around 3.5 inches, which is crucial for us because we run the muffler under the a-arms.

As a rant, the sound test is complete and utter bullshit. Hardly any Gixxers could pass the test because the RPMs were so high. Many schools that passed the test(with Gixxers and other engines) were not at the proper RPM, as per my ear tachometers. Anyone else notice this?

2002/2003 Team Leader
    Best overall average finish of the new millenium

Yeah I thought it was unbelievable that we failed twice with a stock muffler... Our car is no louder than the street bike, and it really isn't louder than many cars/bikes on the road with exhaust tweaks.

ANd now that I think about it some more, we were over 109 as well, not 108.9 as I had origionally posted. I remember that we just sqeaked in.

-------------------------
    UVIC Formula SAE Team

http://uvic.fsae.ca

This is my first reply in this forum.

We used an single Akrapovič (Made in Slovenia) muffler for the 2001/2 and 2002/03 formula SAE europe (Formula Student) competition on a honda cbr 600 engine (y. 93).

y 01/02 - 109.9 db
    y 02/03 - 109.2 db

The rpm were to low I think (only 1/4 of throttle - 4000 rpm). But the judge said they are o.k. - thank good.

2002/03 Team Member - Formula student Europe

While researching, I came upon the mufflers that the CART Formula Atlantic Toyota cars are required to use. They are made by Coast Fabrication in California (coastfab.com). They are quite inexpensive considering how much some FSAE teams pay for mufflers:

(Prices in US$ I think)

Inlet Outlet Length Part No. Price Weight

2.5" 2.5" 17.13" 25X25FATLSS $170.46 2.61 LB

Go to http://www.coastfab.com/ultralights.html to see their other mufflers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast