+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Greatest innovation in last 40 years of suspension design?

Hadn't noticed the asymmetric rocker axes. Nice.

On page 69 of the same issue they say that Maryland pulled 2G in the skid pad event at FSAE Michigan.

Originally posted by exFSAE:
    Hadn't noticed the asymmetric rocker axes. Nice.
    That's awesome.

I wonder how long it will take for their "rear box" to shear off. It doesn't appear to have any additional bracing other than where it mounts behind the engine.
    Zips Racing 2008-2011

"Simplify, then add lightness" - Colin Chapman

For crying out loud! Have the moderators on this board died?

I posted a reply on this thread yesterday morning. Yes, I admit it, I made the fatal mistake of including a picture. Does this make me a bad person?

Where's my post?

Edit: Make that two posts lost in the ether now.

Funniest part, the front pushrod comes off the top control arm too!!

And really, why run the brakes all the way to the back? So that when you get rear ended you can lose pressure?
    "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement."

In the article they claim that a key advantage of the setup is shorter pushrods, I think they missed a key design step along the way...

They also claim that the system lowers their centre of gravity, I would guess that those pushrods would offset the angled upper control arms personally, not to mention that those dampers are about as high as they could possibly get.

They also say that they run huge amounts of anti's to prevent pitch and heave.

It seems to me like the whole thing has been designed with absolutely no consideration of forces, then again the article also implies that it is the design of an academic so maybe he specializes in kinematics only :/
    UNSW 2006-10

It seems to me like the whole thing has been designed with absolutely no consideration of forces, then again the article also implies that it is the design of an academic so maybe he specializes in kinematics only :/
    His research seems a bit suspect if he thinks that it is innovative.

Hillman Imp front suspension circa 1963...

Link to picture of Hillman Imp suspension

I am concerned that out of all the innovation that we see in FSAE/FS this is what ends up in RCE.
    ---------------------------
    2006 QUT Motorsport - Manufacturing Manager
    2007 QUT Motorsport - Controversy Raiser
    2008 University of Waterloo Formula Motorsports - Exchange Student / Electrical Team Manager
    2009 The University of Adelaide Motorspo

This is one of the many reasons I no longer subscribe to that magazine.

It's really a shame that they choose to publish such disasters. The negative light shed on FSAE students here damages the reputation of the series with potential employers in racing and beyond.
    "Gute Fahrer haben die Fliegenreste auf den Seitenscheiben."
    --Walter Röhrl

Well, unless I'm very much mistaken, it is a direct copy of the system used on the front of 1963-76 Hillman Imp. I dare say it was used on other vehicles before that.

If you want to see what I mean past cut and past this link...

www.imps4ever.info/tech/suspense.htm

I've given up trying to post pictures and links.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast