+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Greatest innovation in last 40 years of suspension design?

Racecar Engineering, September 2010 p.74

Lancaster Links...

"the greatest innovation in the last 40 years of suspension design."

I just don't get it. They look like swing axles to me. What am I missing?

There's a reason I no longer subscribe to RCE.

And yea, no different than a swing axle.

Must be some hellacious load on those pushrods.

Not quite. Such a setup eliminates two of the big problems caused by swing axles: high roll center and bump steer. It would, however, have even more camber progression in pitch/heave.

It doesn't look like it would have too much camber change in roll, so with some anti-squat it might not be too bad a setup. It would certainly be worlds better than a swing axle.

I dropped my subscription to RCE after the subscription price started to exceed the cover price.

I wouldn't complain about the camber change in bounce, that's a pretty obvious trade-off with that short of a swing arm length. The pushrod setup and rear box however...

Well at least you wouldn't have to stuff around with Kinematics to find your instant centre. You can touch it!
    If you swing the skew axis around by moving the lower fore forward and outboard, the camber gain, roll centre and structure all get better and it can be made to work ok.
    Oh wait though, that would be kind of the same as a BMW 2002 or Datsun 1600 (P510 for USA)so how is that an innovation?

Hang on I get get it, they are 60's designs, so older then 40 years , so don't count as innovations in the last 40 years.

Pete

Well, it does set a new world record for halfshaft plunge per inch of wheel travel. Maybe the innovation is in deflection steer. Or is it a braking judder generator?

I suppose that the asymmetric rocker axes are mildly interesting. What does RCE claim as the innovation?

Just for Pat Clarke's benefit don't forget the rod ends in bending. It is an innovative use of rod ends in bending.

EDIT: On closer inspection the rod end is for the toe link not the swing arm.

On another note I've almost finished reading Think Fast (review to follow in the Think Fast post) but so far so good a really easy enjoyable read and as promised full of gold nuggets. I also love how many Aero engineers have become successful race car engineers over the years, very inspiring.

Cheers
    Olly

Academy Racing 04-07, 09-11
    UNSW@ADFA

Originally posted by Neil_Roberts:
    Well, it does set a new world record for halfshaft plunge per inch of wheel travel. Maybe the innovation is in deflection steer. Or is it a braking judder generator?

I suppose that the asymmetric rocker axes are mildly interesting. What does RCE claim as the innovation?
    To be fair, it isn't RCE that is claiming that it is the greatest thing since sliced bread, it is the 'inventor', Professor Derek Seward.

Prof Seward has obviously never seen a Hillman Imp... a 1960's rear engined production car that used exactly (to my eyes) the same set up at the front.

Anybody from Lancaster care to comment?

Originally posted by oz_olly:
    Just for Pat Clarke's benefit don't forget the rod ends in bending. It is an innovative use of rod ends in bending.
    Are you sure? I can only see rod ends on the tie rods in that picture.

Huge loads on those pushrods.
    Nathan

UNSW FSAE 07-09

Ah it seems you're right. I looked a little too quickly.
    Olly

Academy Racing 04-07, 09-11
    UNSW@ADFA

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast