+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cost Report, Materials

We were just wondering if there was a cost minimum for titanium ($/lb)? We have a few parts that we may decide to use on the car but we were not sure what to use for the costing table.

We were just wondering if there was a cost minimum for titanium ($/lb)? We have a few parts that we may decide to use on the car but we were not sure what to use for the costing table.

As I understand it, cost minimums that are given are given, everything else has to be costed at retail. So, our Ti fuel tank for last year had a bunch of receipts for Ti plate. Mighty expensive fuel tank.

---
    Michael Jones
    Coordinator, Student Project Teams, College of Engineering

Cornell Racing
    http://fsae.mae.cornell.edu
    ---
    Michael Jones
    Cornell Racing 2001-2005
    PhD Candidate, University of Toronto, Faculty of Information
    http://www.yafle.ca/fsae

I have a question regarding the Materials Costing.

The rules say Mild Steel (like 1010) is $0.30/lb and Alloy Steel (like 4130) is $0.60/lb. Does this mean that all 1xxx Steels must be cost at $0.30 and all others at $0.60? I take it 4340 must be cost at $0.60, right?

In the rules, Aluminium is $0.75/lb. Does this mean that all alloys of Aluminium can be accounted at this price?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jimnik:
    Does this mean that all 1xxx Steels must be cost at $0.30 and all others at $0.60?
    I take it 4340 must be cost at $0.60, right?
    Does this mean that all alloys of Aluminium can be accounted at this price? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Yes
    Yes
    and Yes
    Mario R. BriceƱo R.
    La Universidad del Zulia
    www.fsae-luz.org

Why on earth would you use a Ti fuel tank? Aluminum is lighter.. of course theres the whole E85 thing but I'm sure theres a easy fix for that.
    Colorado FSAE | '05 - '07
    Goodyear Tire & Rubber | '07 - '11
    NASCAR Engineer | '11 - ??

+ Reply to Thread