+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Auburn FSAE In-car

Some in car video from the weekend, we were doing some shifting testing. Not bad video for our first real-in-car footage. The high-res will be pretty long downloads.

Acceleration runs
    Lo-Res

A few laps
    Lo-res

A little fun
    Lo-Res

-Charlie Ping

I just need enough to tide me over until I need more.

Some in car video from the weekend, we were doing some shifting testing. Not bad video for our first real-in-car footage. The high-res will be pretty long downloads.

Acceleration runs
    Lo-Res

A few laps
    Lo-res

A little fun
    Lo-Res

-Charlie Ping

I just need enough to tide me over until I need more.
    -Charlie Ping

Auburn FSAE Alum 00-04

Nice! Is that really a shift from 1st to 2nd about 20 feet off the start line, as you ADL is showing?

Edit: I just figured out you're starting in 2nd, and Motec defaults to displaying 1st gear when wheelspeed = 0 on the line.

University of Washington Formula SAE ('98, '99, '03, '04)

[This message was edited by Denny Trimble on March 09, 2004 at 04:43 PM.]
    Alumni, University of Washington
    Structural / Mechanical Engineer, Blue Origin

Charlie,
    Are you guys using an electronic or pneumatic shifter this year? In your accel video, I don't see the driver moving his hands off the wheel... and his finger stays glued to a button the wheel. Just wondering.
    Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
    Formula SAE '00 - '04
    Team Leader '01 - '03
    www.formularpi.com

Denny you are correct we start in 2nd gear and the ADL logic kicks in after the car rolls.

Dominic the button you see the driver holding is the auto-upshift button, as long as it is depressed the car shifts at a predetermined RPM based on current gear. The two top buttons are the manual shifting buttons, you just can't see the drivers hand when he's downshifting manually.

When I'm driving (that's me in the vids) I generally use the auto-upshift almost exclusively, but it is totally optional at any given time.
    -Charlie Ping

Auburn FSAE Alum 00-04

Charlie,
    Our team is currently budgeting to have an in-car camera. What type of camera and software is that about how much did it cost you guys.
    Thanks,
    Michael

Its a Canon ZR40 I bought used for $275. It is wrapped in bubble wrap and duct taped and Zip-tied to the frame. Its got a wide angle lens I purchased off Ebay for about $40.
    -Charlie Ping

Auburn FSAE Alum 00-04

+ Reply to Thread