+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 2004 Pontiac, Michigan competition

I-75 is easier because it's an Interstate connecting to an Interstate, but as long as you get on northbound Telegraph (4-lane divided thoroughfare with stoplights) and don't turn right until Square Lake, you're all set. There aren't any surprises, it's just a few miles of mostly straight big road with stoplights.

Check out Yahoo maps and take a look at the two. If you're getting in late at night, 75 might be easier because you don't have to pay attention to much of anything (except the Exit 69 Big Beaver Rd. sign that you pass on the way to Pontiac).

Maps are good, as is planning the route and planning the drive through "that ghetto place." Learned that the hard way in 2002. Was following the truck when I radioed ahead to ask an important question...

Q: Can we pull off somewhere soon? I need to go.
    A: Not here. Not a good part of town.
    Q: OK...(ten minutes later) Uh, still need to piss...this doesn't look much better though...
    A: Worse.
    Q: OK...(ten minutes later) Seriously, though, I really need to piss. When can this happen?
    A: Uh, wait until we get out of town.
    Q: What kind of town is so fucking dangerous that you can't urinate even after a half hour drive? Are we in fucking Afghanistan or something? This is retarded.
    A: Not here.
    Q: Christ...(Five minutes later.) OK, fuck this. I don't care if I get shot, I'm getting off here. Join me or don't. I'm going to explode.
    A: This should be OK, yeah.

Note: if you're planning to enter MI from the south, take a rest stop in Ohio.

---
    Michael Jones
    Coordinator, Student Project Teams, College of Engineering

Cornell Racing
    http://fsae.mae.cornell.edu
    ---
    Michael Jones
    Cornell Racing 2001-2005
    PhD Candidate, University of Toronto, Faculty of Information
    http://www.yafle.ca/fsae

Sad, but true... Detroit might be the worst looking town in north america. Especially coming from the south up I75. It looks like a scene from Terminator II... after doomsday. That and the fact that it's cloudy all the time make it really suck. Unfortunately, it just happens to be the center of the American automobile industry.

Guys, Detroit may not look like much...but aren't we all big boys? Sure, you probably don't want to be walking across town on your own in the middle of the night. If you're with your teammates and minding your own business, I think you'd be ok stopping at the gas station to use the bathroom! I've done it many times myself, and it didn't seem too life threatening to me. Actually, last time I stopped for gas in Detroit I ended up meeting a stripper that needed some help...but that story's for another time and place.

Bryce

Funny, i had the same thing happened to me when i stopped at a gas station. She was like "dont i know you from somewhere?" hehe ...

RiNaZ
    RiNaZ

We also got lost on the way home because some genius from our team would be fun to head south to Detroit instead of north to Port Huron/Sarnia. Anyways, long story short, we ended up somewhere known as 8 Mile Rd. Being the only non-francophone in the car, I pointed out the fact that there's a link to 8 Mile Rd, Detroit and a certain "recording artist" and that this ain't the nicest place in town. Completely oblivious, one of the others in the car rolls down the window, pulls out his fancy ass digi cam to take a picture of the 8 Mile Rd sign. I cringe, but we escape alive. The side streets are kinda creepy, with stripped Mustangs on concrete blocks at pretty much every street corner.

Andris Kanins
    McGill Racing Team
    2002/2003 Body Design
    2003/2004 Suspension
    McGill Racing Team 2003 - 2004
    Dawson College Baja 2009
    Concordia Formula Racing 2010 - current

The first time i went to pontiac from DTW, i was driving alone, and i got lost. I got scared but i later told myself, maybe i just watched too much tv. The week after, i was telling my friends about it, and they cringed and told me i was lucky i didnt get jump. I agreed.

You guys know if they have any shuttle or bus from DTW to pontiac? and how much does it cost?

RiNaZ
    RiNaZ

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2