+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: The Perfect FSAE Specific Engine

Hi James,
    Of course, on our dream engine the ports can be wherever we wish to put them. Problem with putting them front and back means the engine length would now be very long, or the exhausts or inlet on the forward cylinders would protrude into the drivers area. Whatever, this is fun. Maybe we can develop a system where the exhausts feed back into the intakes and we recharge the spent gas with oxygen fed from the restrictor =] (Dick, I really shouldn't take your advice to try ALL those beers)
    Renault adopted a wide angle V engine in F1 for the very reasons we discussed here. Lower the CoG whilst making room for the exhausts under the engine. The reason they have abandoned it is because of the destructive harmonics at the very high RPM used in F1 (over 18,000rpm)

Oh BTW Dick, an American beer from Oregon just won the 'Best beer in the world' competition in Australia this week. Many antipodean brewers with their noses out of joint
    PDR
    The trick is ... There is no trick!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> an American beer from Oregon just won the 'Best beer in the world' competition in Australia this week. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great, just what we need here in Oregon, more reason for all the beer drinking folks to think there actually is a good beer.
    Josh Gillett
    Oregon State FSAE '04-'06

Dick,
    i have one of those old OMC Evinrude/Johnson rotaries sitting in my shop at home that i bought from a local junk yard for shits and giggles, was meant to be a gokart project, but never had any success with the electrical components(some things had been robbed since it was at a junkyard), It is susposed to be rated at 45hp, plenty for fun, I would really appreciate it if you (or anyone else familiar with the engine) would contact me, duwem@uwplatt.edu and see if your knowledge would assist my project. that little thing runnin at 8 grand is one of those things i would really love to hear!!!!
    Mike Duwe
    UWP Alumni

Former Drivetrain Leader and Team Captain

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Blanching at the idea of a 2,500 HP engine in a 1200lb car, the FIA promptly nixed that idea and Turbo engines in general soon after. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Also, blasting the guy behind you with jet exhaust would certainly wreak havoc on their aerodynamics (and make for one sweat drenched 'pilot')
    Ben Beacock
    Alumni
    '03,'04(AWD),'05(AWD) Gryphon Racing - University of Guelph

Mike,

I don't have any of the data we generated 20+ years ago. 45bhp seems about right.

The guy who developed the engine retired from OMC and was one of my (part time) colleagues at MSOE. His name is Bud Gandi, and I believe that he still teaches the occasional class there.

- Dick

Dick,
    Could you get me some contact information for him, I'm about an hour away from MSOE, would be appreciated.
    thanks
    also curious what other ppl have come up with as far as home built SAE inspired go-karts go.
    Mike Duwe
    UWP Alumni

Former Drivetrain Leader and Team Captain

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If you had the resources and the time, what type on engine would you design and build for the competition? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would probably design two engines (for two different styles of cars), both turbocharged for drivability and higher efficiency. Also, both would incorporate aluminum blocks and heads. The first would be a 400cc SOHC V-twin. The second would be a 599cc SOHC V-4, using F4i (OEM-style or aftermarket) connecting rods, pistons, injectors, and spark plugs.

The transmissions would definitely use gears for reliability and fun (not cvt). How many gears would depend on the performance of the engines.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5