+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Queensland Pics

Does any one have any pics of thier rear suspension setup with the live rear axle?

"A woman is a lot like a beer, they look good, smell good, and you would run over your own mother to get one." Homer Simpson

Nobody is born with a steering wheel or a gear shift in his hand. It's something you choose to do or you don't.
    Mario Andretti (1977)

Does any one have any pics of thier rear suspension setup with the live rear axle?

"A woman is a lot like a beer, they look good, smell good, and you would run over your own mother to get one." Homer Simpson

Nobody is born with a steering wheel or a gear shift in his hand. It's something you choose to do or you don't.
    Mario Andretti (1977)

I have some pix, but I don't know how to post them.
    The UQ car does not have a live rear axle, rather it has a 'spool' where the differential would normally live. The team designed the car so they could fit the Torsen package from last years car if they so wished. I would think there is no need, as having driven the car, I can assure you it does not understeer.
    The team designed the entire geometry package to take advantage of the locked rear end, and obviously were very successful.
    PDR

Rudeness is a weak mans imitation of strength
    The trick is ... There is no trick!

I can host the images for you, just email them to me (zipped into one file would be easiest), keep it under 100MB, and I'll put them on my site.

dennyt at u dot washington dot edu

University of Washington Formula SAE ('98, '99, '03, '04)
    Alumni, University of Washington
    Structural / Mechanical Engineer, Blue Origin

check out de webcam dude..

www.uq.edu.au/fsae

Sam Graham
    Engine Group Leader 2003
    UQ Racing
    Sam (I've washed my hands!) Graham
    Ex - UQ Racing

Pat,

As a judge and assuming that you haven't driven the car, what is your opinion of the locked rear end?

Sam,

How did you justify the spool to the judges? Was it more than you expect the inside rear to lift in corners?

Cheers,

Kirk Veitch
    Swinburne University of Technology 2004
    Cheers,

Kirk Veitch
    Swinburne University of Technology 2004

Kirk, you know me. If presented with a car without a diff, I would sure want to know the reason why.....but the I would want to know the reason why you HAD a diff too

If a team presented a spool car to me, I would want to really hear what chassis dynamics they had used to overcome the supposed understeer. There are a heap of answers, all partly right and partly wrong, and I sure as heck dont know the answers. When a team makes a decision like that, I would want to be sure they fully understood the implications. It is not the judges job to prejudge the design, after all, the big dyno out on the course will qualify the design or otherwise.

BTW, I didn't think the UQ car got wheels in the air? What I did notice when I drove it was that when you got it about 20 degrees out of shape, even Michael Schumacher couldnt get it back, and I have some ideas about that. The team then fitted traction control to reduce the edginess of the car at the limit.

My personal opinion is that this car represented a very well thought out FSAE car, and I hope they get to take the evolution of it to Detroit (or wherever, as the Silverdome will be closed) and show it to the world.

PDR

Maybe some one can answer this. Back in the 80's there was a rule about lifting a tire during the dynamic events that stated if a tire comes off the ground there was a penality of I believe two seconds. Does any one know if this is still in effect? It was 1984 it is quoted in the History of Formula pdf file that was in the program 2 years ago.

Mario Andretti (1977)

Denny, thanks for the offer, but even after I resized the files and zipped them (not much point with jpegs) the file is still bigger than 100kb ...a LOT bigger than 100kb

And BD, I think the rule against picking up wheels has been partially forgotten. If a driver is regularly up on two wheels, he will be invited to discuss his driving style with the officials, however, I think it is fair to say that in some designs weight jacking is a legitimate design paramater, and unloading wheels may be designed in. Having said that, I never saw (nor experienced) the UQ car aviating the inner rear wheel.

So, I have about 2 meg of appropriate pix sitting here on my hard drive looking for a home =]
    PDR

hehe "aviating"

hmmm

i saw light passing under it quite a bit, but it was never high enough to pass over cones

Frank

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast