Pictures - http://sae.ucsd.edu

[edited May 13 2006]

Micah

Micah Bayless
    President
    UCSD SAE
    858 534-6277
    mbayless@ucsd.edu

I like your video, nice footage. Got anymore Helsinki dyno footage? I wanted to see other cars run more but we were busy.

One Q though, <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> "We have to be fully self-sufficient, whereas school's like Michigan State, Cornell and Rensselaer are running on annual budgets of nearly $100,000 apiece to develop their cars," explains Bayless. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You sure about that?

-Charlie Ping
    Auburn University FSAE
    5th Overall Detroit 2003
    ? Overall Aussie 2003.
    -Charlie Ping

Auburn FSAE Alum 00-04

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> "school's like Michigan State, Cornell and Rensselaer are running on annual budgets of nearly $100,000 apiece to develop their cars," explains Bayless. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ive heard many a rumour that that is their budget. and wollongong apparently had more. are these just crazy rumours spread by the loosing teams to make themselves feel a bit better? or are they pretty close to the mark?
    guess it always helps for sponsorship if you have some pretty good results behind you!

- if it isnt coming, you need a bigger tool.
    - ARC '04 member (now retired ) - Bling Bling Competition winners FSAE-A '04 (and design winners)

Well Wollongong's trip to the US meant they had to have a big budget. Any teams that stayed in North America, I would be really suprised if thier cash budgets exceeded 30k or so.

-Charlie Ping
    Auburn University FSAE
    5th Overall Detroit 2003
    ? Overall Aussie 2003.
    -Charlie Ping

Auburn FSAE Alum 00-04

I don't know about other teams but i doubt the money they get is very high.

We spent $30,000 OZ or about $18,000 US to build and develop our car for Australia.

To get it to the states it cost us $55,000 Oz or about $33,000 US for flights, car transport etc. We shipped the car with our bank account $3000 Oz in the red and said we would go on a shoestring and pay our own way individually if we had to. We ended up getting all the sponsorship in the end after a huge sponsorship push.

Guys don't throw mud on the internet, let your talking be done at the competition on the track. As Claude Rouelle says "above all else have fun".

Regards
    Eddie Martin
    UOW Racing

Our 2003 Budget hovered around 15000 CDN, so about 11000 american or so. That includes travel money and hotels for the trip from Calgary to Detroit. That didn't stop us from spending more though

Brent

www.ucalgary.ca/fsae
    University of Calgary
    2001-2004

It's a funny concept "the budget"...
    How do you look at it..?

The cash at hand you have to spend outside the uni..?
    Or the cash at hand to spend inside the uni?.... Do you pay wages directly from these funds?

and the cost of the project to the university?
    If you count up all the hours the staff members put in.. machinist, supervisors, the cleaner, the receptionist, the accounts supervisor, the transport officer, the university bus rental costs... etc etc it could almost match the "cash budget spent outside".

And then.. how do you price the above person's labour .. on their wages? .... Or by the hour at a respectable rate?
    And what do you do to account for the money that gets channelled back into the university?
    Is it truly "spent"?

I must also say that the parts in the US are (according to exchange rate) very much cheaper than what you get in Australia.

Anyhow.. a figure.. "cash spent outside the university"

Our first year's project AUS $37K
    This years project (a new car) AUS $35K

We have a totally ######## situation here with the OEM's.
    SAE gets their money... and gives us a few grand... and we are not allowed to approach the OEM's directly....

To be honest, for the Aussie team without major cash backing, and there seems to be only one team with that, the university is certainly your greatest sponsor... and you have to provide your sponsor with a product in return...

This means a serious attempt at marketing the university....
    This year we have displayed at

Three runs at the "hillclimbs"

Two "orientations"

Qld raceway

Qld motorshow

University Expo

Last week was open day..

Last night "careers night"

Today we are displaying at.. "brainwaves"

In two weeks "Industrial Expo"

Then a break for a while until... our favourite (and complete rort) INDY!!!!!!!!!!!!

regards all

Frank

[This message was edited by Frank on August 21, 2003 at 02:36 PM.]

A large budget might not mean success. Does Ferarri (or cornell, wollongong, UTA etc for that matter) win because they have money, or have money because they win?

I know there's a fair bit of money thrown around in melbourne, i think most teams would have cash other than from the uni.

frank - what sort of accounting and purchasing system do you have? i thought we're talking about spending cash here - cold hard cash... can you explain how your system of paying the uni and not spending money works?

Eddie's pretty much right with our budget. We spent a bit closer to $35,000 AUD on last years car. That's the total of the items we had to pay for, and doesn't count in kind support.

Team members had to pay their own competition costs though, which for accomodation and travel was approx $300 AUD per person for about 25 people for the Australian Competition.

Cheers,

Fergus Wilson
    Project Manager
    UOW Racing 2003

fw01@uow.edu.au
    www.uow.edu.au/eng/racing/
    Fergus Wilson
    Project Manager
    UOW Racing 2003

fw01@uow.edu.au
    www.uow.edu.au/eng/racing/

+ Reply to Thread