+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: How many here Autocross?

I just discovered autocross this summer at the same time as some of our team members. We started autocrossing because we have heard it frome other FSAE teams. It's a good way of getting practice in a race environment. The few autocross we did this summer gave us the chance [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] to discover some bugs on the car... In a perfect world we would have appreciated to dicover them without having to pay registration fees, but next year's car will be more reliable! I you have the chance to have a practice area to tune the car and debug it, I think it would be better than autoX. But those events give a good way to simulate a competition environment, especially for the members who didn't drive at the competition.
    Gabriel Denoury
    Ecole Polytechnique de Montréal FSAE
    www.fsae.polymtl.ca

I started auto-Xing in '98 to better my street driving skills (and show people up in the canyons). I became a member of the So. Cal Solo2 club the year after and I love it more every year.
    I race a '93 civic hatch in EP or SM depending on whether I was able to gut my car the night before.
    In fact, if it wasn't for solo2, I wouldn't be doing FSAE right now. I found out about the Cal Poly team at a novice school.

I dont AutoX, but do track events. Hopefully picking up a world challenge touring e36 soon to have for some club races.

Any of you do any club racing, or amatuer series?

I started into solo-2 when I found my local club through FSAE. I've done 5 seasons now, been the Solo Director of the club, the Promotional Director and even won my class a few times in region. Now I just need to convince my team to let me run our SAE car in regionals.

Marshall McLean
    University of Western Ontario

UWO FSAE Racing Team
    Western Ontario Sports Car Association
    Marshall McLean
    University of Western Ontario
    http://www.cockyracingguy.com/pictures/tripodsig.jpg
    UWO FSAE Racing Team
    [url=www.wosca.com]Western Ontario

I plan on doing some autocross this summer when I'm visiting relatives in NJ. Never had a car until I lined up a deal with my aunt... I should take official ownership of a 1987 Porsche 924S mid-May. It needs some work before I can run it... It will eventually see some track time, hopefully in SCCA club racing or PCA events.

Andris Kanins
    McGill Racing Team - Body Design
    McGill Racing Team 2003 - 2004
    Dawson College Baja 2009
    Concordia Formula Racing 2010 - current

i autocross my d-stock 2002 nissan Spec V with the virginia motor sports club in richmond, Va. it is a blast and a great way to learn car control. i just bought a set of used r-compound tires, so I am still getting used to those. so, far ive just done local events. next season i want to do some regional races and a pro-solo event.

btw, im not actively participating in FSAE right now. im still in high schoo. i will be going to UVA next year and hope to get involved in their motorsports program next year- they race legends cars.
    UVA Baja SAE Captain

Hi I'm new here too and I go to school with Dogburn. I've been building up my civic for e prepared class and so far I've only been to one event, but after the winter when I get my new tires on the car I plan to race quite often. I will be going to vcu engineering school next fall and plan to participate in their FSAE program there.

I autocross in Philly reigon quite a bit...

Lehigh Formula SAE Alumni
    Team Captain 2002-2003

www.lehigh.edu/~insae/formula
    Lehigh Formula SAE 1999-2004

I did...I'd even travel to the nearer events. I ran a CSP CRX for quite a while. Tried DS in my Subaru RS, but it just wasn't the same...now the D-mod Subaru 360 microcar project has arrived, and I'm keen on getting it working right...think 2 seater SAE car with full bodywork.

As an alum I'd say that you should autox as much as you can to get the feel for what a course is like...nothing can prepare you for the feel of the SAE car, except the car itself, of course.

I do a fair bit of Club level racing in my Falcon GT. It is all good learning car control. Something like FSAE shows you how a properly set up race car can go around corners as opposed to a hotted up road car.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast