+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Formula Student logistics

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has advice to share regarding travelling internationally to Formula Student? We are heading over there from Oz, and trying to find out stuff like how long it takes to get cars through customs, practice track availability, unexpected complications, etc.

We are also considering buying a couple of sets of tyres over there and then selling them after the comp. Anyone Euro teams interested in purchasing used 10 inch tyres after the event? We are on a tight budget and need to minimize space in the crate. Just a thought...

Cheers all, any advice most appreciated

Geoff Pearson
    RMIT FSAE 2003

Design it. Build it. Write it off two weeks before the event.

Ill second all of that. As we are travelling over in the same crate as RMIT it effects us too. Free beers are on offer to anyone who offers quality advice.

We probably will also purchase tyres in Europe for use at the comp. If anyone is interested in some used 13's (ie the proper size hey Geoff )then let me know.

Look forward to seeing you all in July,

Cheers

Alistair McVean
    Monash University

I don't know what the deal is Australia....but I can give you guys a pretty good point of view from Canada.

We have a CARNET, which is a passport for your crate to ship the car and tools. It costs about $200USD. This will allow your crate to go to the UK.

Ok. now the nitty gritty finances. It's a total of about $17,000 USD to compete. This includes
    everything: registration (hella a lot of money),
    airline tickets for 8 team members, 2 mid size car rentals for 2 weeks, accomdation for 1 week for 8 team members, the shipping crate, fumagation of the crate, customs documentation, and of course....shipping.

Lemme give u a quick break down:

Airline ticks: $6000 USD
    Car rentals: $1500 USD
    Accomodation: $1000 USD
    Wooden Crate: $1000 USD
    Fumagation: $1000 USD
    Documents: $500 USD
    Shipping: $4300 USD

Tickets try to get really cheap if you book early. Car rentals...there's nothing u can do
    to get them cheaper. Accomodation: same thing.
    Documents: there's no way around it.....prolly less for u guys too. The crate, fumagation and shiping costs u can try to solicit sponsorship for...we did. It's good you guys are going together, and we got a company to cut our costs really low. One company built us the crate for free.....and the shipping company shipped it at cost to them.

The shipping:

From toronto, at $800, a truck comes downtown and gets our crate. It takes it to a rail terminal and from there it is on a train to the montreal shipping docks. On a boat it goes, for 12 days at sea, back on a train, a truck....and then dropped off at the track. same deal coming home. The total time in transit is about 22 days.

Practice track is available to teams at a cost before the event....but NOT even the day before setup day.....as we found out!

The Germans bring the good beer...... Look'n forward to see'n you guys. Lemme know if you have any questions.

Cheers,

Vinh

University of Toronto Formula SAE Racing Team
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Al:
    Ill second all of that. As we are travelling over in the same crate as RMIT it effects us too.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you think there will be room for all of you in there? I imagine it would be too crowded for such a long trip!

Sorry, that was just too easy, I had to say it.

Bryce

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nashco:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Al:
    Ill second all of that. As we are travelling over in the same crate as RMIT it effects us too.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you think there will be room for all of you in there? I imagine it would be too crowded for such a long trip!

Sorry, that was just too easy, I had to say it.

Bryce<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As I said, we are really working on a tight budget. Saves on airfares. Although we have to pack in a few extra team members to allow for losses during fumigation.

Glad to see we are being taken seriously....

Geoff Pearson
    RMIT FSAE 2003

Design it. Build it. Write it off two weeks before the event.

The Germans bring the good beer......

... not good beer, the best one, and for our friends from Monash and Rmit how helped us in 2001 and 2002 in OZ we will love to bring u aussies real beer, no V[ery]B[bad].

German beer makes german cars looks good

Frank Roeske

Thanks Vinh,

Much appreciated.

Frank, I'm told that German Beer even makes German women look good
    PDR

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Frank Roeske:
    The Germans bring the good beer......

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We're currently working on the details to get the car and sufficent supply of Flens, Becks and Augustiner hell to the US. Appearently the car's no big deal apart from money but the beer......hm.

What about Braunschweig, don't they have Feldschloesschen as a sponsor? Okay, not a proper beer but better than Heineken.....;-)

Tim

HMMMM a way to get beer arcoss the ocean...... Hey just strap a keg to your car and tell customs its a gas tank........

"A woman is a lot like a beer, they look good, smell good, and you would run over your own mother to get one." Homer Simpson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast