+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: GOODYEAR FSAE TIRE DATA

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mrrc:
    We are only looking for the Goodyear FSAE data. Once again any help is appreciated, thank you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why are you looking for only the Goodyear data in the first place? Do you have a few sets lying around already, and want to accelerate your setup time?

Because if that's the case, my $0.02 (0.022CAD) would be that you will learn more, and learn it faster, and have a faster car for the same time put into actually running on a test track varying as much as you can and recording the data.

Even better to do it now while the weather is nice. We had some trouble in Chicago testing in the winter, I imagine it's worse for you guys up there.

Best,
    Drew

Northwestern Formula Racing Alum
    Head Engineer, Frame/Suspension 2006-2009

My '73 Saab 99 Road Race Build

Yeah, +1 to everybody. Doug Milliken has gone out of his way to make tens of kilo-dollars worth of tire data available to students for what is really a steal. Not to mention it would be pretty unfair to those of us who did chip in the money for full membership to just hand out a large portion of it for free.

So why is it you just want Goodyear data? If all you want is a head start on setup, last I saw the Goodyear website had that basic info. Are you afraid the Hoosiers, Michelins, and Avons might become attractive if you happened to have the data for them? If you don't want to look at all the data to make an informed decision, then what do you want it for?
    Dr. Adam Witthauer
    Iowa State University 2002-2013 alum

Mad Scientist, Gonzo Racewerks Unincorporated, Intl.

We already have the Goodyear FSAE tires.
    Electrical Engineering
    Lakehead University, ON, Canada

There did used to be a data book posted on the Goodyear Racing website, however that was all for a tire that hasn't been built in years. Not sure it would be any useful even if it was floating around.

What type of data and information are you looking for? What are you trying to get out of the data?

The TTC is the only place you will find detailed F&M data that's recent, but even then, the current tire (D2696) has a substantially higher performance envelope than that of the last tire tested (D2692). Some aspects are similar, some are not. Further TTC testing that will include the D2696 is slated to happen "soon."

Until then, if you let us know what you're trying to determine we can probably get you in the right direction.

Also, while F&M data is considered by some to be the holy grail, bear in mind it is only as useful as it is accurate.
    Colorado FSAE | '05 - '07
    Goodyear Tire & Rubber | '07 - '11
    NASCAR Engineer | '11 - ??

Hi guys, this is my first year in FSAE. Unfortunately nearly the entire team at our school graduated last year, and so I’m responsible for designing the suspension. Crazy right? I’m kind of scrambling right now, so forgive me if I’m asking stupid questions:

Last year our team used the Goodyear D2692’s. It seems like those are no longer available, as they have been replaced with D2696’s. From this thread, I gather that the D2696’s have not been tested yet. From my understanding, I need to start my design with the tire data. So am I stuck until the tire data for the D2696's comes out?

The D2696 has not yet been tested and I haven't heard any concrete discussions on when the next round of TTC testing will be. But I don't think you are necessarily stuck. The data from the D2692 should be enough to get you started.

Not to mention, again, you DO NOT need tire data to design a very good suspension in this series. Even an excellent suspension.

Tire data helps more for initial setup than anything, IMO.

Since you already have the tires to be used, consider making a tire test rig and generate your own data. Run at speed, a few loads a few slips and a few incls and presto chango. You don't need a complete 'surface' at all operating conditions to do this job correctly, just the one's where tire data is the strong player, eh? Go strain gauge a wheel bearing or brake rotor and do a thesis on it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2