+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: non-drysump cars-what are they like?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Charlie:
    For Skidpad testing of course!

And yes Frank we have done lots of Skidpad testing.

-Charlie Ping

I just need enough to tide me over until I need more.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well obviously you go in circles in skidpad testing, but surely and individual run shouldn't be long enough to cause any oil pressure problems?

Ben

University of Birmingham
    www.ubracing.co.uk
    -

oh you can sell it Pat... thats not too hard

it's just that im wondering how many teams get into trouble without one...

ben.. "surely and individual run shouldn't be long enough to cause any oil pressure problems?"

i think that seeing oil pressure warning lights is altogether scary, even if they are only quick.

not so scary at startup, but at high rpm with load i think them scary.

im also wondering if the guys who "do nothing" perhaps havn't really driven that long..

Matthew, I cant see how lowering 55kg 3 inches is offset by raising 3kg 18 inches. or have i got the metrics a bit out

We do put baffles in the sump.

Ben

University of Birmingham
    www.ubracing.co.uk
    -

We took the stock pan on our F4i and chopped it down to 2", and welded a flat plate across the bottom. We have small baffles around the pickup, and some near the side covers. Since the crank is so far up in the block, we filled it with the same amount of oil we normally would. we didnt think windage would be a problem. We had to modify the pick-up too, no problems yet...

-jvk

Jeremy V. Keller
    FSAE04 Technical Head
    Roush Industries/UofW CO-OP
    vector006@hotmail.com
    Jeremy V. Keller
    FSAE04 Technical Head
    Roush Industries/UofW CO-OP
    vector006@hotmail.com

www.fsae.uwindsor.ca

The engine CG is foreward of the oil pan. So certain engine mounting can be advantageous and still leave room for the sump. I think that our mounting does not give up more than an inch to the best dry sump setup as far as engine CG goes.

-Charlie Ping

I just need enough to tide me over until I need more.
    -Charlie Ping

Auburn FSAE Alum 00-04

We've tested different setups including baffles, dry sumps and many other unheard of things. Our current setup only raises the engine only 1/2" in comparison to our dry sump setup.

We've had chronic oiling problems with our F4's. Killed two crankshafts from spun bearings last year. These engines were made to tilt, not slosh. We have oil pressure data and the pressure drops to 10psi or less in nearly every sweeping corner, skidpad is downright scary. Guess what we're playing with right now?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vector006:
    We took the stock pan on our F4i and chopped it down to 2", and welded a flat plate across the bottom.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Welding aluminum. Cast aluminum. On a critical part rigidly attached to a vibrating explosion container. I'll pass

"...with powershifts and tiresmoke for all"
    Code:

Melbourne ran the stock GSXR sump without problem for 3 years AFAIK. The new engine was a different story, but it had a much different sump/pickup design.

------------------------------
    Views expressed do not necessarily reflect those of my team or University.

The stock GSX-R sump is very pointy though, the F4's is flatter on the bottom, very likely this makes a difference.

Code:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3