Unfortunately, circumstances are such that, although invited, I can't judge this year. My friend David Gould, amongst others, is in a similar situation. Something may change in the next couple of days, but I can't count on it.

For those concerned, Carroll does have some serious health problems, which will hopefully be overcome.

I've read all of your reports, and have thoughts - but can't reveal them! <grin> Suffice to say that the overall level (primarily driven by the "mid-pack" cars, has gone up yet again. FWIW, I haven't seen the same progress in mini-baja.) A couple of years ago, one of the consortium judges in my group (from GM) discovered that I had gone to MSOE. Despite the fact that we've both put on more than a few pounds - and turned grey, he said to me that he thought that I looked familiar. I thought the same thing. Small world.

You are now all members of an elite group - those who have completed these projects. Much of what is discussed here is exactly the same as it was 25 years ago when I first joined SAE. You'll eventually discover that yourselves. Nonetheless, many of us are proud of you folks. I had many positive experiences as a student, competition official, competition organizer, faculty advisor, foundeing member, and chair of the competitions (formally rules) committee, etc. Save for those as a faculty advisor, my most memorable have been those where I have provided feedback as a judge (or as requested/suggested by Bob Sechler, Dave Mitchell, or other staff members) to those who were struggling with their programs. As I used to say in my professorial days, anyone can teach (although perhaps not challenge) an "A" student. The real reward is in helping that student who is struggling to get a "C" (but won't quit).

Good luck to all of you. I suspect that it will be an "interesting" year. As one who has seen these things from every angle save for headquarters' staff (which I have been threatening to do - <grin&gt you will not regret your participation.

- Dick Golembiewski