+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: driver preparation

Hi

I would like to discuss how you drivers prepare yourself before driving, particularly the endurance event. I'm talking more specifically about preparation the day of the event. What kind of foods you eat for breakfast? Do you get to sleep in a bit more then other team members? How much water do you drink before you hop into the car? etc.

I'm predicting very hot conditions on endurance day in this years FSAE-A competition and if this holds true, driver fitness (and skill!) will be paramount to success. How hard do you guys (and girls) train to achieve a desirable physique for driving these types of cars? Do some teams out there set a minimum standard of fitness before they can be nominated as drivers? Or do you dedicate your engineering designs to accomodate the "regular folk"? (for example, add KPI to make steering lighter but sacrifice on positive camber gain in cornering)

Sorry about the long post about a not-so-engineering topic, but I look forward to seeing your replies on this topic.

Francis (now ex FSAE competitor)

Hi

I would like to discuss how you drivers prepare yourself before driving, particularly the endurance event. I'm talking more specifically about preparation the day of the event. What kind of foods you eat for breakfast? Do you get to sleep in a bit more then other team members? How much water do you drink before you hop into the car? etc.

I'm predicting very hot conditions on endurance day in this years FSAE-A competition and if this holds true, driver fitness (and skill!) will be paramount to success. How hard do you guys (and girls) train to achieve a desirable physique for driving these types of cars? Do some teams out there set a minimum standard of fitness before they can be nominated as drivers? Or do you dedicate your engineering designs to accomodate the "regular folk"? (for example, add KPI to make steering lighter but sacrifice on positive camber gain in cornering)

Sorry about the long post about a not-so-engineering topic, but I look forward to seeing your replies on this topic.

Francis (now ex FSAE competitor)

I don't think physical conditioning is very important in such a short race. Our car is definitely designed for the 'masses' and not for one particular driver. It needs to be fairly easy to drive.

I drove in Autocross and Endurance in 2002. We finished Autocross in 7th with a lap of 79.4. It also happened to be the only full lap I got, on cold tires. I prepared by not eating anything, not thinking too much, trying to focus on what was next and not getting nervous. I'd never driven the auto-x before. It was hard not to get rattled as we had some mainor (and major) problems just before the auto-x, but it all worked out great.

For Endurance, it was a little different. it was so very cold and so early for the fastest group. I think we had to be on the grid by 6:30 AM. I drove second and watched our first driver run about a lap before I started feeling sick. He had some problems with the car on the first corner, likely because of cold tires. I couldn't watch anymore, I just sat down next to the RVs and set out my helmet and gloves to get ready for the driver's change. I was calm and collected and ran some very good laps in Endurance (78s). We brought the car home in one piece. and at a great pace.

IMO, The biggest driver issues are

1)Familiarity with the car

and

2)Ability to cope with the unexpected (weather, temp, car issues, etc)

-Charlie Ping
    Auburn University FSAE 1999-present
    -Charlie Ping

Auburn FSAE Alum 00-04

Usually we don't let our drivers worry or touch the car before driving events. We just have them sit down and relax and get focused on the driving ahead of them. Being one of the Auto-x and Endurance drivers this past year, I would like to listen to my favorite DJ (electronic) on headphones and just get in the zone. I have driven these cars for so many years that they are just natural to me. I can jump in any of our cars and be completely comfortable with them. It just comes with seat time. I was the second driver in Endo in Detriot and England and wasn't really too nervous in either case. I guess its because I'm so comfortable in the car.

We also try to have a driver fitness program during the year to help get the drivers in better shape. It may not make a big difference but its the little things that can add up. We usually just do some cardio and some basic weight training.

Shamus Yandle
    Georgia Tech Motorsports 1998-Present
    2001/2002 Formula Student Champions
    2002 Formula SAE - 3rd place
    Shamus Yandle
    Georgia Tech Motorsports 1998-2003

I think the biggest challenge our drivers faced was the pressure of the event and the cars youre racing against. At Competition you have one shot to prove that the thousands of man-hours spent on design, manufacturing, testing, presenting, etc were all done well. That's a big deal.

My teammate and I drove to 3rd in the endurance in Detroit this year (despite a pretty big 5th-gear 'off' that resulted in the eating of 4 cones), and both of us feel that seat-time is one of the single biggest factors in getting faster.

This year, lets put the engine back up front where it belongs!!

The key is simple, physical fitness (gym everyday) and Skip Barber Racing School.

That's a pretty ridiculous statement. I am a Barber school graduate, but it doesn't exactly prepare you for an FSAE-type course. In fact, it is vastly different.

Time in the car, and practice on the FSAE-style courses, overwhelm both those "KEYS" to driver prep by a very wide margin.

-Charlie Ping
    Auburn University FSAE 1999-present
    -Charlie Ping

Auburn FSAE Alum 00-04

I agree with Charlie,
    At Cornell, we have very small parking lots that we do our testing in as the university will not give us space in larger ones. We test and train on very tight autocross courses. The average corner radius that we test and train on is much smaller than the average corner in the endurance and autocross track.

Although a driving school helps, it isn't the main factor in successful competition driving. Prepping drivers by placing them in high-pressure situations: A good driver training regimen, mock competitions, and drive offs between all team members that are interested in driving at the competition with a one shot mentality is the most helpful.

Also, at the competition, the pavement is much different from your average NY parking lot and thus the handling of the car will change. With a small wet, sloped, risky practice lot at the competition it pays decent dividends to have your suspension guys set the car up to perform a number of ways for your drivers to train with. Instead of the perfect balance that you strive for, challenge the drivers by adding roll stiffness to one end or the other without telling them before they go out. When they come in, ask them what they felt they had to do to get the car to do what they wanted it to. That way when you get the competition and you are out on the skidpad and your car understeers a little due to the different pavement conditions, you can still lay down a respectable skidpad time and be happy that you did all this preparation.

Before endurance this year, the other endurance driver and myself sat down and discussed strategy. That helped the two of us remain calm and know what sort of job we had to do out there to get the job done. One more thing: Don't drive the car to the limits in the endurance. Drive at 9/10th's. This will ensure that you don't hit any cones or get any OC's. Will keep the car in one piece, won't fatigue the driver, and will conserve fuel.

Regards,
    Erich Leonard
    Cornell FSAE 2000-2002

for the competition, we let the drivers go to sleep earlier than everyone, and the day of, we let them do their own thing pretty much. that's assuming the car is all in good working order. if we are having problems, then its a whole different story, because our drivers are also our most experienced team members and engineers.

as far as training goes, we don't set any physical standards, though everyone is encouraged to do some physical training, and most of our drivers work out on a fairly regular basis. the biggest factor is familarity with the car. we try and get everyone as much seat time as possible, driving on campus in our commuter lot, and doing SCCA events as well. We've found those to be particularly helpful.

last year, 15 members went to a one day school at skip barber. the skills learned there were helpful, although they weren't directly applicable to autox driving.

the better physical shape your drivers are in, the better they will be able to drive, no doubt about that. having as much seat time as possible is also critical. come race day, just let the drivers relax and do whatever they need to be comfortable and in the zone.

www.formularpi.com
    Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
    Formula SAE '00 - '04
    Team Leader '01 - '03
    www.formularpi.com

I refer you all to Caroll Smith's Drive to Win page 1-22 2nd heading.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast