+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Monash 2003 is rolling

"Our thinking is: If the car was faster with wings, might it not be faster still with more wing?"

Have you ever thought that the reason it was faster was because of the 35 pounds of weight you added over the front and rear tires? Just wondering if that could be the reason.
    "A woman is a lot like a beer, they look good, smell good, and you would run over your own mother to get one." Homer Simpson

if the 35lbs of weight over the wheels helps them go faster, imagine what 35lbs of weight and 200lbs of downforce holding that tire onto the road would do.

do you really think that the wings actually dont generate any downforce? that they are just on there for good looks or something? maybe im missing the sarcasm in your post.

- if it isnt coming, you need a bigger tool.
    - ARC '04 member (now retired ) - Bling Bling Competition winners FSAE-A '04 (and design winners)

has anyone talked to UTA about when drag outweighs downforce? from nothing else than looking at their design, i would say they are using the smaller wings to reduce drag. funny that they dont try and direct the flow over the wheel though, maybe they think that will break the open-wheel rule.

- if it isnt coming, you need a bigger tool.
    - ARC '04 member (now retired ) - Bling Bling Competition winners FSAE-A '04 (and design winners)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Daddy:
    Have you ever thought that the reason it was faster was because of the 35 pounds of weight you added over the front and rear tires? Just wondering if that could be the reason.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can you explain your logic?

-Charlie Ping
    Auburn University FSAE
    5th Overall Detroit 2003
    ? Overall Aussie 2003.
    -Charlie Ping

Auburn FSAE Alum 00-04

its my understanding that 85% of the time you will not see speeds over 35 MPH. To get 200lbs of downforce at that speed you would have a very excessive amount of drag at 60MPH making the run from 35 to 60 take forever. I could be wrong because I am more mechanical that aero. And if that downforce can be achieved then why don't teams that win use the technology? Please inform me of why this is so that I may see the perverbial light. And GUG there was a small sense of sarcasm in my orignal post.
    "A woman is a lot like a beer, they look good, smell good, and you would run over your own mother to get one." Homer Simpson

Charlie,

he is referring to Australasian gravitational effects again

remember.. http://fsae.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=7...853#6306014853

if you don't like wings, then you can apply unsprung mass liberally by using large brass billets (or lead if you like) to make uprights, axles, and wheels

hope this helps

regards

Frank

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Daddy:
    its my understanding that 85% of the time you will not see speeds over 35 MPH. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My question wasn't regarding the benefits of aero, that has been well debated . I was asking why you think an additional 35lb on the car would be beneficial. You are saying that the gains they see might be simply from the added mass, so why would you think that would happen? It's a purely mechanical question.

-Charlie Ping
    Auburn University FSAE
    5th Overall Detroit 2003
    ? Overall Aussie 2003.
    -Charlie Ping

Auburn FSAE Alum 00-04

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Frank:
    he is referring to Australasian gravitational effects again

remember.. http://fsae.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=7...853#6306014853

if you don't like wings, then you can apply unsprung mass liberally by using large brass billets (or lead if you like) to make uprights, axles, and wheels
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry Frank, I should have remembered that. My memory is very poor And so is my memory.

-Charlie Ping
    Auburn University FSAE
    5th Overall Detroit 2003
    ? Overall Aussie 2003.
    -Charlie Ping

Auburn FSAE Alum 00-04

I think he was just saying that the only downforce the wings produce is from their weight. And I'm pretty sure that he was just joking, even though he seems cleary against wings on FSAE cars.

Brent

www.ucalgary.ca/fsae
    University of Calgary
    2001-2004

For an overall apeal adding 35 lbs is not benificial but added weight could very well help in cornering all though it would be a bitch on straight ling performance. I am not against aero on fsae cars I am actually more interested in them but I guess I am just sceptical. How much down force can you really get at 35MPH? How much do you want? I know this has been discussed before but this whole Formula thing is relativly new to me IE 1 or 2 years and my previous experience was some what sheltered with people trying mostly tried and true designs rather than jumping out of the box from the get go. Lastly this was not meant to ruffel anyones tail feathers just as a means of learning

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast