+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: throttle bodies...

hey, just wondering what throttle bodies you guys recommend. This is my first year doing this and i've been given the wonderful task of looking for a 34 mm throttle body. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

build one yourself mate.. you are going to have a hard time pulling a 34mm throttle body off a car or a bike. very messy if you do.

we built our own 34mm throttle body from billet ally. butterfly type. our SLS nylon / carbon restrictor screws on. some teams build the throttle body/restrictor in one peice. some have roller type.. some are carbon fibre etc...

you get the idea. look around. design - build.

Sam Graham
    Engine Group Leader 2003
    UQ Racing

Slider type. SOOO easy to make. SOOO light. SOOO reliable. amazing throttle response.

Vinh

University of Toronto Formula SAE Racing Team
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

try Jenvey Performance Induction out of England
    www.jenvey.co.uk
    They make really nice throttle bodies in about 100 sizes, trumpets, etc...and if you're nice they might give a discount.

we actually decided to kinda mod one of the existing bodies from the GSXR throttle bodies.

we sleeved it down to 1 inch, made our own throttle plate, and fit a TPS bracket on it. quite cool in my opinion.

~Adam

I've been looking at 3 different possibilities for the throttle:
    barrel
    slider
    butterfly

I see an advantage to using a slider or barrel because at full throttle there is no restriction. Vinh mentions good throttle response with a slider as well. Is there any advantage to using a butterfly? I can see a bit of a problem connecting a TPS to a slider which is why I'm leaning towards a barrel valve.

Ben Beacock
    Co-Manager
    2004 Gryphon Racing - University of Guelph

Hi Ben,

In my opinion, the butterfly is by far the easiest to manufacture and get to seal correctly. The only challenging part about the whole thing is getting the correct angle on the edge of the valve itself. This is also vey easy if you know the trick.

Brian Lewis
    Performance Electronics, Ltd.
    www.pe-ltd.com
    "Complete Engine Management Systems for $798"

We had a slider in '99. We had a rotary cam on it that turned the cable 90deg and allowed for a TPS to be mounted. Watch out for sticking though. Towards the end of the season, our throttle was a little dirty, because we drive in a lot of wet, grimy weather. When the driver would let off the gas at the end of the straight, the high vacuum would suck the slider against its mating surface hard enough for it to stick at partial (but disturbing) throttle positions in the braking zone.

University of Washington Formula SAE ('98, '99, '03, '04)

In 2001 I made a single barrel throttle body and in 2002 I made a double barrel throttle body. The double barrel throttle body concept was pretty cool and MIGHT have given us a couple points in design. On the down side, both were very hard to maintain due to dirt and wear. Similar to the '99 car Denny spoke of, these throttles had a tendancy to stick over time. Needless to say, the concept was cool, but in '03 we went to a simple butterfly throttle that we designed. Throttle response was actually best with the butterfly, reliability was improved greatly, and manufacturing was greatly simplified. Based on my three years exprience, flow bench results of all three designs, driver input on throttle response, ease of manufacturability, durability, simplicity, cost, and risk (you only get one shot at comp), I highly recommend a butterfly over a barrel-style throttle. Keep it simple and robust, I don't think time spent on this is worth the risk and any minimal gains you might see. There are other factors that have bigger effects on dyno results.... focus on them first. I don't have any experience with slide-throttles though, so maybe Vinh has hit on something. Throttle response, as seen by the driver, can be altered with linkage design (cams, etc) to get the response you want (linear, or whatever else) with a butterfly. Just some advice, best of luck!

Bob
    UW FSAE '01-'03

You should see our slider. It's absolutely tiny and we mounted the TPS on the pedal. The response is clean and soooo easily modulated.

Vinh

University of Toronto Formula SAE Racing Team
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast