+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Tyres for 10 inch rims

Hi all,

Just wondering if we could get some dialogue going on which tyres work and which don't on ten inch rims. We ran Dunlop tyres on our little single last year, they took ages to warm up and therefore weren't too flash for the autocross and skid pad events.

I don't know what the compund designation was for them, but they were the only Dunlop 10's available here in Oz. They were manufactured for a comp in Japan for little open wheelers with Hayabusa engines in them. Therefore quite a hard compound. The good thing is I reckon there is a good ten to fifteen years worth of testing in each set before they wear out.

Any comments from those teams that have used Hoosiers and Goodyears? Anyone tried LeConts?? Anyone want to tell us we are Wallys for using tens in the first place? (Please form an orderly queue, yes Pat D'Rat you can be first in line).

I know there have been previous threads on 10's versus 13's, but most focus on geometry and weight. Would love to hear some good info on the actual handling and heating characteristics.

Cheers all,

Geoff Pearson
    RMIT FSAE 2003

Design it. Build it. Write it off two weeks before the event.

Hi all,

Just wondering if we could get some dialogue going on which tyres work and which don't on ten inch rims. We ran Dunlop tyres on our little single last year, they took ages to warm up and therefore weren't too flash for the autocross and skid pad events.

I don't know what the compund designation was for them, but they were the only Dunlop 10's available here in Oz. They were manufactured for a comp in Japan for little open wheelers with Hayabusa engines in them. Therefore quite a hard compound. The good thing is I reckon there is a good ten to fifteen years worth of testing in each set before they wear out.

Any comments from those teams that have used Hoosiers and Goodyears? Anyone tried LeConts?? Anyone want to tell us we are Wallys for using tens in the first place? (Please form an orderly queue, yes Pat D'Rat you can be first in line).

I know there have been previous threads on 10's versus 13's, but most focus on geometry and weight. Would love to hear some good info on the actual handling and heating characteristics.

Cheers all,

Geoff Pearson
    RMIT FSAE 2003

Design it. Build it. Write it off two weeks before the event.
    Geoff Pearson

RMIT FSAE 02-04
    Monash FSAE 05
    RMIT FSAE 06-07

Design it. Build it. Break it.

PDR

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous!
    The trick is ... There is no trick!

Deafening response, isn't it?
    PDR

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous!
    The trick is ... There is no trick!

Geoff,
    Your not alone. We also seek the answers to your questions. If we come up with anything meaningful, I'll be happy to forward it on. Good luck to you and your team in the Formula Student comp.

Cheers,

Phantom Engineering
    Chief Design Engineer 2004

I may not always be right, but i'm never wrong...
    Aaron Harnden
    Phantom Engineering
    Chief Design Engineer 2004

I may not always be right, but i'm never wrong...

Tire deflection with the 10 inch wheels was a little bit much for my taste:

I suppose you could make them work with lots of static negative camber and/or lots of camber gain in bump, but that doesn't seem too ideal to me. I did see some low-profile Goodyears and Hoosiers on 10s at competition last year, those might be decent, but I've never driven on them.

We spent a half-summer setting up the suspension on our 2002 for the 10s. We switched to 13s and immediately dropped 1.4 seconds on a 40 second lap, then dropped another second off after re-tuning the suspension for the 13s.

Back in 2000, Goodyear sent us some prototype tires for 10s which had a really stiff sidewall. Too bad they never decided to make them, they were wonderful tires to drive on, almost as good as 13s

Eric Wort
    UIUC Formula SAE

We at western have never made a car with 13" wheels, they have all been 10. keep in mind that you essentially have four flywheels on your car. You have to accelerate and decelerate them with power from the engine and brakes. Lowering the polar moment of inertia of the wheels should result in faster acceleration and better braking.
    as for sidewall flex, i've never been entirely convinced that it should be feared so much. remember that the only way a car can corner is through the flexing of its rubber. cars with too small of sidewalls or too stiff of sidewalls lose their tires much more often. that's why no racing class uses low profile tires. (unless you count scca)

just my thoughts

Justin Foote
    WWU FSAE
    Justin Foote
    WWU FSAE
    2001 - 2005

Try sports car racing for some low-profile tires. Everything else is regulated. Firestone wanted to go to 17" tires for CART in 1994-5 (whenever they re-entered the series) but CART wouldn't let them, supposedly on the basis of appearance.

-Charlie Ping

I just need enough to tide me over until I need more.
    -Charlie Ping

Auburn FSAE Alum 00-04

...yeah well here at western, along with our ten's we also run kpi and scrub that would give other teams nightmares...

jack @ WWU
    http://www.etec.wwu.edu/
    jack
    College dropout extraordinaire
    (formerly WWU Rev-Hone Racing)

Jack, Enlighten us with some numbers.

SJ

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast