+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2002 Formula SAE West Coast Car Conference (report)

2002 Formula SAE West Coast Car Conference
    Hosted by CSUN
    October 19, 2002

On Friday, October 19, 2002, the Cal State Northride FSAE team hosted the 2002 Formula SAE West Coast Car Conference. The goal was to prepare west coast teams for the 2003 competition by gathering a number of teams together to test cars, share design ideas, and build comradery amongst the schools.

Eight members of the 2002-2003 UCD FSAE team made the 400 mile trek to Northridge, CA for the one-day event; two of our other members were already in the area. We were really looking forward to the event since it was the first time we had a chance to run our '02 car against similar formula cars (not much A-mod competition in the Sacramento area). Schools in attendance were:

Cal Poly Pomona
    CSU Fresno
    CSU Long Beach
    CSU Northridge (of course!)
    Loyola Marymount
    UC Davis
    UC Irvine
    University of Southern California

Pictures and results can be found here:
    http://www.ecs.csun.edu/sae/main/con.../2002/W3C1.htm

CSUN had set up a close replica of a competition autocross course in one of their parking lots. It was very tight (particularly for our '02 car,
    with it's non-optimal turning radius) but was a good reminder of what it's like at competition; we had been running at Sacramento SCCA events which are designed for Corvettes and the like. Run format consisted of a warm-up lap followed by two hot laps. An initial test run a small group
    of drivers walked around with the course designer and made a few modifications to make the course a bit more negotiable and easier to follow. Then it was back to driving!

As each team's drivers cycled through their respective cars and got more used to the course, the lap times began to drop and cones weren't being brutalized quite as bad. No overlap was run for safety reasons, so things went slowly but smoothly, and allowed team members plenty of time to chat with other schools and look over their cars. It was nice to be in a more relaxed setting (compared to the Competition atmosphere) to discuss design ideas with other schools. As the day wore on, people seemed to loosen up more and enjoy having the chance to hang out with other students who shared the same interests in racing and engineering.

Our team posted the best scratch time, but the competition was very tight and had there been a cone count it probably would have been a different story. There were a number of corners that we had to power through, but one hairpin that was just too tight. Either way, our 645lb tank held its own!

The highlight of the event had to be the end of the day when we started swapping cars. Some teams had left already but those of us who had the chance to pilot another teams car all wished we had done it sooner! The experience of driving a completely different car, even only for a few
    laps, is invaluable. I would personally like to thank CSUN for letting me take their car out for a few laps. Their ECU had been acting up, so it
    wasn't a particularly smooth couple of laps, but I could instantly appreciate the tight turning radius, and excellent power-to-weight ratio.
    It was also great to get feedback from the CSUN and Pomona drivers who took our car for a spin. We're used to the way the car performs, so it's
    nice to get a new perspective on it.

I'd like to thank the whole CSUN team for putting on this event. They did a terrific job, and how they provided breakfast, lunch, and a t-shirt for
    $10 I have no idea. I'm looking forward to the next event (should they decide to do another), and will do whatever I can to help out.

Courtney Waters
    2003 Team Leader
    UCD Formula SAE

Courtney Waters
    UCD Formula SAE

2002 Formula SAE West Coast Car Conference
    Hosted by CSUN
    October 19, 2002

On Friday, October 19, 2002, the Cal State Northride FSAE team hosted the 2002 Formula SAE West Coast Car Conference. The goal was to prepare west coast teams for the 2003 competition by gathering a number of teams together to test cars, share design ideas, and build comradery amongst the schools.

Eight members of the 2002-2003 UCD FSAE team made the 400 mile trek to Northridge, CA for the one-day event; two of our other members were already in the area. We were really looking forward to the event since it was the first time we had a chance to run our '02 car against similar formula cars (not much A-mod competition in the Sacramento area). Schools in attendance were:

Cal Poly Pomona
    CSU Fresno
    CSU Long Beach
    CSU Northridge (of course!)
    Loyola Marymount
    UC Davis
    UC Irvine
    University of Southern California

Pictures and results can be found here:
    http://www.ecs.csun.edu/sae/main/con.../2002/W3C1.htm

CSUN had set up a close replica of a competition autocross course in one of their parking lots. It was very tight (particularly for our '02 car,
    with it's non-optimal turning radius) but was a good reminder of what it's like at competition; we had been running at Sacramento SCCA events which are designed for Corvettes and the like. Run format consisted of a warm-up lap followed by two hot laps. An initial test run a small group
    of drivers walked around with the course designer and made a few modifications to make the course a bit more negotiable and easier to follow. Then it was back to driving!

As each team's drivers cycled through their respective cars and got more used to the course, the lap times began to drop and cones weren't being brutalized quite as bad. No overlap was run for safety reasons, so things went slowly but smoothly, and allowed team members plenty of time to chat with other schools and look over their cars. It was nice to be in a more relaxed setting (compared to the Competition atmosphere) to discuss design ideas with other schools. As the day wore on, people seemed to loosen up more and enjoy having the chance to hang out with other students who shared the same interests in racing and engineering.

Our team posted the best scratch time, but the competition was very tight and had there been a cone count it probably would have been a different story. There were a number of corners that we had to power through, but one hairpin that was just too tight. Either way, our 645lb tank held its own!

The highlight of the event had to be the end of the day when we started swapping cars. Some teams had left already but those of us who had the chance to pilot another teams car all wished we had done it sooner! The experience of driving a completely different car, even only for a few
    laps, is invaluable. I would personally like to thank CSUN for letting me take their car out for a few laps. Their ECU had been acting up, so it
    wasn't a particularly smooth couple of laps, but I could instantly appreciate the tight turning radius, and excellent power-to-weight ratio.
    It was also great to get feedback from the CSUN and Pomona drivers who took our car for a spin. We're used to the way the car performs, so it's
    nice to get a new perspective on it.

I'd like to thank the whole CSUN team for putting on this event. They did a terrific job, and how they provided breakfast, lunch, and a t-shirt for
    $10 I have no idea. I'm looking forward to the next event (should they decide to do another), and will do whatever I can to help out.

Courtney Waters
    2003 Team Leader
    UCD Formula SAE

Courtney Waters
    UCD Formula SAE
    Courtney Waters
    UC Davis Formula SAE Alumni

+ Reply to Thread