+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Cart

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike131313:
    the only teams that ever had a chance to win the series and the 500 were Penske, Ganassi, Rayhal, Newman Haas, Team Green, and Forsythe <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So IRL isn't largely a Panther, Penske, and Ganassi show then?

Ben

University of Birmingham
    www.ubracing.co.uk
    -

The reason CART and IRL can't compete is because they are second-rate series. CART is an American version of F1 and F1 is superior to CART. If Americans want to watch cars go around in a circle, they watch NASCAR, not the IRL. The reason the Indy 500 still does well is because its only once a year(and because now there are a few Nextel Cup drivers in it). So in summary, road courses-F1; oval tracks-NASCAR.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brent:
    The reason CART and IRL can't compete is because they are second-rate series. CART is an American version of F1 and F1 is superior to CART. If Americans want to watch cars go around in a circle, they watch NASCAR, not the IRL. The reason the Indy 500 still does well is because its only once a year(and because now there are a few Nextel Cup drivers in it). So in summary, road courses-F1; oval tracks-NASCAR.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Umm, CART doesn't share much more with F1 than the fact that they are both open wheeled cars and they run on road courses (and only some of the time for CART).

CART is a series designed for an open wheeled car setup for many different aspects of racing. CART races on small ovals, big ovals, road courses and street courses. That's pretty wide range of racing enviroments. F1 only races on road courses; but, yes F1 has Monaco for a street course, but that is one race a year and the track is heavily prepped. The CART street courses don't see nearly as much preperation and the cars have to be setup for that. CART cars are one of the most versitile open wheeled cars out there because their aero and suspension setups vary so much in order to work well in each environment.

I don't see how CART is just an American version of F1.

The whole purpose behind CART was to bring F1 style racing to the states. That was its initial focus. They gave it an American flair by racing in the streets of California. CART was , at first, an exciting and attractive series, but as its ratings and sponsors dropped, it had to compromise its main goals. That's why they try to attract other motorsports enthusiasts through the oval circuits they race at. But I must agree with you that they have extremely versitile set-ups(but let's not forget the F1 set-up for the Indy GP). It is a fact, however, that CART has become one of the "sister series" of F1; by that I mean that many "bad" F1 drivers move to CART and many good CART drivers move to F1, proving that they are quite similar in many forms. The entire CART series stock is only worth $7 million, so why else would Bernie Eccelstone keep such a sharp eye on the series?

[This message was edited by Brent on March 06, 2004 at 10:46 PM.]

I am in no way saying CART is better than F1, but IMHO you are comparing apples to oranges in their current states.

Well they have 18 cars for Long Beach. Hard to believe with the Herdez and Rahal teams backing out, but they did it.

I haven't been to a CART race since 1993 Road America (none within 8 hours of here!), but seeing the state of things I swore I'd go to one this year.

Why not Long Beach.
    -Charlie Ping

Auburn FSAE Alum 00-04

A friend of mine working for Mahle is doing a thesis on titanium engine stuff, so he was wondering where he can get the rule book especially regarding engine ruling for IRL and NASCAR? thanks!
    RiNaZ

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4