+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Other Event Ideas...

As I read it, the rule itself is unenforceable. The only real way to enforce the rule is to change it first. I like the idea of taking an additional crush zone to the competition and having it meet specific criteria. As an alternative, they could crush each one and the results go to the design judges, affecting your design score.

Sam Zimmerman
    Vandals Racing
    Sam Zimmerman

Vandals Racing alum

How about having the dynamic events before the judging for design semi's, so that the judges can actually appreciate the cars that do well on the track. Some of the designs I saw during the first couple of days sure were innovative and probably took a lot of thought, but when it came to actually performing in a race...please...
    I say do the safety stuff, run the cars, then judge the best...

Doug Temple
    '02 VT FSAE
    www.vtmotorsports.com
    Doug Temple
    '01-'04 VT FSAE
    www.vtmotorsports.com

Surely semi-finals judging would have helped our team if it was after the dynamic events. But I think having the finals after the dynamic events is good enough. You can have a good design, and have problems with it performing. You should not be able to win design if that happens, but I think you should still be able to go far.

As for the crush zone, I think the whole crush zone idea is a bit of wishful thinking anyway. If you crashed one of these cars, would it be head on into a wall? I think not. In fact, I think it's pretty easiy to partially avoid something, and if you couldn't, most cars would go under what they hit (like a car). Anti-intrusion bars & wheel tethers would be much more practical ideas IMO. You are ging to try to avoid what you are about to hit; it will be an angle blow, or probably a 1 wheel hit.

-Charlie Ping
    Auburn University FSAE
    5th Overall Detroit 2003
    ? Overall Aussie 2003.
    -Charlie Ping

Auburn FSAE Alum 00-04

Our team has used the crush zone fairly often...most tested design on the car! I agree that if you hit anyting at speed your probably going to be calling the fire department to come cut you out with teh jaws of life. The one great thing about the crush zone is that it stops you from denting, bending, other sorts of damage to your chassis in lower speed crahes into things like parking lot curbs (this has never NEVER happened to us).

About the wheel tethers I completly agree. UVic's rear wheel this year is proof that they are needed. We nearly had the same thing happen too, but our caliper stopped the wheel from flying off and we ran a lap or 2 with the rim rolling on the rotor.

Brent

www.ucalgary.ca/fsae
    University of Calgary
    2001-2004

Wheel tethers wouldn't have stopped UVIC's wheel from flying off, the hub flange separated from the axle.

I thought the crush zone intent was in case two cars were running close in endurance, the front one spun, and the rear one t-boned it. That would be a good reason to have a crush zone, but the rules are way too loose here to guarantee that everyone's crush zone is safe.

Totally off topic, I got my first drive in an oval car last night. Managed to pass someone in practice, then spin in front of them, thank god they didn't hit me because full tube-frame cars hit pretty hard

University of Washington Formula SAE ('98, '99, '03)
    Alumni, University of Washington
    Structural / Mechanical Engineer, Blue Origin

LTU totaled the '03 car this summer. I am trying to get a copy of the pics to post. Suffice it to say, it's not a pretty sight. The only thing that saved the driver's legs is the fact that he was only about 5 feet tall. Everything from the rear a-arm mount forward was crushed back.

Oh, and I would have LOVED to see a show-n-shine. We would have blown the competition away in '02.... with OR without a muffler LOL!

-Joe

2002 LTU FSAE Co-Leader
    2002 LTU FSAE Brake System Engineer
    Inaugural 2002 Road and Track FSAE Triathalon Champions!
    2002 LTU FSAE Co-Leader
    2002 LTU FSAE Brake System Engineer
    Inaugural 2002 Road and Track FSAE Triathalon Champions!

I have two ideas,

1. 1/4 mile

2. Destruction Derby - Once the comp is over, all teams compete on a speedway track. Whichever team is the last running, they keep not only their car but all the wrecks too.

I don't know about anyone else but I like number 2.

Matt

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2