Hi,

I'm trying to track down info on teams that have attempted significant modification of their power train. So far I have found the WWU Viking XXX V8, & Will Attards 430 turbo twin. I have found mentions of teams removing the gearbox in favour of a CVT, but can't seem to find any detail or links.

Reason I am asking is that I'm planning to design something along the lines of what the WWU team did, though sacrificing a little weight minimisation for low cost and ease of manufacture.

The goal is to design a kit that converts a specified donor engine to an integrated power train more suited to a formula style car. Things like cost, availability of parts, chassis and suspension integration and packaging, and reliability rank highly, while still shooting for acceptable balance of performance 'vs' weight. Of course it would be great to have access to a fully kitted out engineering company and the pick of donor parts from the most exotic motors on the planet, but I'm hoping to come up with something that would be within reach of most FSAE teams both in terms of cost and resources.

Thoughts and/or sources of info welcomed!

Darren,

Deakin - Aust.