+ Reply to Thread

Thread: brake rotors

I'm writing a report on ceramic coated rotors for the FSAE car in my ceramics class and for comparison's sake, I found out the price of a rear rotor from our engine donor bike. drum roll.... $300. I also looked up the price for a rotor from a smaller bike - a Kawaii 250 dirt bike rear rotor was $170 US. I don't know how other teams can justify using these rotors on their cars...
    Colin

I'm writing a report on ceramic coated rotors for the FSAE car in my ceramics class and for comparison's sake, I found out the price of a rear rotor from our engine donor bike. drum roll.... $300. I also looked up the price for a rotor from a smaller bike - a Kawaii 250 dirt bike rear rotor was $170 US. I don't know how other teams can justify using these rotors on their cars...
    Colin

Yeah, bike rotors are really expensive, but if you actually count the material (our aluminum costs 210 for four), number of hours to machine it (2 or 3), coating (anodizing is cheap, but most ceramic coatings are super expensive) then it's not that different in the cost analysis...

Tifenn

According to the 2003 cost analysis, the rotors cost only $17.81US each, which included only $15.07US worth of labour and only $2.74 for material. I'm really confused as to where these numbers came from - why so low?.

Yes, I forgot that in the cost analysis the cost of materials is a lot less than it actually is... And apparently only 1/2 hour of machining was put in... The thing is, they really don't check wether you actually have customs rotors or rotors you took from a bike, so you could put bike rotors on your car and list them as custom in the cost analysis...

ok, so in your opinion, how much do the aluminum rotors cost, each?

Also, Altech charges a minimum $75 fee for small quantities to be hard coated.

where did we got the material from? $210 seems a bit high for material for 4 rotors. I need to know this info tonight so I can print tomorrow, so any help is appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Colin

Nice find Colin, some of those look totally suitable.

-------------------------
    UVIC Formula SAE Team

http://uvic.fsae.ca
    -------------------------
    UVIC Formula SAE Team
    http://members.shaw.ca/drax77/Formula%20UVic%20Sig.jpg
    http://uvic.fsae.ca

Yeah, those look pretty good. Sorry I didn´t answer early enough, I am in Germany right now and I don´t have much access to computers. For information, we bought the material for the rotors at Viking Air, a company that repairs airplaines near the arport, on the island. $210 (CAN) is a normal price compared to what other companies offered for aluminum 2024, at least I think that is the price we paid for them.
    Tifenn

+ Reply to Thread