+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 2002 Yamaha R6 CAD Drawings

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    we will be running an 2001 yame engine, but im sure the 03 would be quite smiliar for mockin up.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

as far as i know, the mounting pts. of the 03 model is quite diff. from the 01 model that u guys are using.
    How much diff... i am unaware at the moment.
    and mounting pt. location is primary objective of the CAD drwng.
    If i'm mistaken, i wud love to be corrected.
    Smokin is GOOD for health.
    Only if done with the RIGHT COMPOUND and enough BHP in the RWD !!

I received some questions about our model.

The way we developed the model was we took a r6 engine part and used a cmm machine to gather the information required to construct an accurate 3d model.

Since last year team ran with a 03 r6 I incorporated the mounting points of the old model that were proven to be accurate on to our new model.

Also the file size is 7mb
    Chris

This topic comes up all the time with regard to engine models. I definitely wouldn't want to discourage cooperation and good sportsmanship amongst the teams so in that regard I applaud anyone willing to share hard-earned data/models with other teams. That said, is anyone willing to do the real grunt work anymore? I've been out of school for about a year and a half now, and I can't even count the number of times I've had to build my own CAD model of a product because an existing CAD model simply wasn't available. Learning to use a variety of measuerement tools and building a good CAD model is great experience, and will also give you greater familiarity with how stuff works. If you already have the engine, and want models of side covers, internal components, etc, what's keeping you from tearing it apart and gathering that data? Yes, a CMM helps a lot, but it's not like you can't make a model without one (and there are a lot of parts that are more easily measured by hand). I had the "pleasure" of modelling both an f2 and f4 engine during my FSAE time. It wasn't easy, but FSAE isn't supposed to be. Additionally, who knows how accurate the "free" model you're getting is? At least if you do it yourself, you can be fairly confident in the results.
    Courtney Waters
    UC Davis Formula SAE Alumni

I've heard that the '03 R6 was changed significantly, but I can't say for sure how different it is. I would triple check any CAD model you get...
    Lehigh Formula SAE 1999-2004

Hi Chris,
    It would be extremely kind if you can email me a copy of the Yamaha R6 CAD. My email account is u0307625@nus.edu.sg
    Thanks alot.

I would also love a copy of the 03 cad drawing if you don't mind. We currently run a 2001 r6 but are thinking about updating to the 03-04 generation of engines and would love to see just how different they are. My email is mantegna@eden.rutgers.edu thank you.

Hi,

I currently race an R6 1999 engined single seater in UK Sprints and Hillclimbs, Could you please e-mail your model of 03 R6 engine, alan@stretta.co.uk

On the virtues of doing your own measurements, we had our R6 CMMd last year and only when it came back did our driveline guy point out that they'd assumed that bolts holding the engine in a support frame were concentric to the engine mounting holes - they weren't of course.

Cue said driveline guy retiring to the metrology lab with engine, height gauge, and parallel blocks. About two days later he invited me (Tech Director) to view the engine, sump off sitting on parallels. "Isn't the CG lower like that?". The answer was of course yes and we subsequently re-designed the entire rear end of the car to make use of the lower engine CG.

Ben
    -

Here is an idea. Denny got off his ass and got the tire testing thing going. This a big deal. Funny thing is the companies started throwing support at the venture as soon as they saw someone was serious. Why doesnt someone take up the lead to do this with engine models. If enough teams sign a "petition" and show support for a venture to obtain quality 3d model right from the factory, they might supply us with 3d surface models in their native design engine that we could convert to a iges or something of that nature. The manufacturer of our baja engine(when I was in baja) gave us an actual 3d surface model of the 10hp engine with all the little bolt bosses and such. I bet you honda,suzuki and any other manufacturer would be willing to do this if they saw a whole bunch of people, future engineering student, got together and asked for it. At the very least we could get them to provide a bunch of drawings that locate mount bosses, and the various usable bolts on the engines. By the way, I am not it on this because I am already taken care of. SO who will step up top get a "Formula Engine Model Database" (F.E.M.D). Shit, if maxsym is willing to do it, then the japs and anyone else should be willing to d it as well.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast