+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: BOOK LIST to reference for car design

In addition to the link Edward posted 3 weeks ago, the book is available through Amazon.co.uk and through The Pitstop Bookstore in Australia. The cost through the latter is $49.95 Australian, apparently. A little higher than the US price of $30 US, but still worth it!!

William and Soheila Kimberley, the publishers, are trying to set up a system for North America through Amazon.com and possibly through the SAE Bookstore. I will keep an eye on these sources and post any updates.

For those who did not see the previous thread on the book, it is entitled "Learn and Compete, A Primer for Formula SAE, Formula Student and Formula Hybrid Teams". It has 266 pages, 26 chapters, covering almost every topic a team will need. It has contributions from senior design judges and others including Steve Fox, Pat Clarke, Steve Lyman, Doug Milliken, Edward Kasprzak and David Gould as well as Dan Jones, the UK rep on the FSAE Rules Committee. Ross Brawn wrote the foreward.

I am happy to announce that "the book"is now available through Amazon.com as well as Amazon.co.uk. If you type in "Learn and Compete, A Primer" it will come up. The cost is $35 US.

MIL-HDBK-1599A
    DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE HANDBOOK: BEARINGS, CONTROL SYSTEM COMPONENTS, AND ASSOCIATED HARDWARE USED IN THE DESIGN AND CONSTRUCTION OF AEROSPACE MECHANICAL SYSTEMS AND SUBSYSTEMS

Great reference for installation and retention of spherical bearings.

An internet search will lead you to many avenues for obtaining a copy.

hi every one i m interested in steering system
    can any one tell me which type of steering system is use in formula 1
    thanks in advance

Originally posted by jamshaid:
    hi every one i m interested in steering system
    can any one tell me which type of steering system is use in formula 1
    thanks in advance
    Well, the rules for that are found on page 40 here: http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-...ONS%2009-03-2012.pdf
    Any views or opinions expressed by me may in no way reflect those of Stewart-Haas Racing, Kettering University, or their employees, students, administrators or sponsors.

Our book "Learn & Compete, A Primer for Formula SAE, Formula Student and Formula Hybrid Teams" is now available through the SAE Bookstore at:
    http://books.sae.org/book-b-939/

The cost is $28 to SAE members ($32 to non-members). I am not sure whether post and packing are included or not.

The SAE only bought 10 copies initially, so it will be interesting to find out how quickly you fellows buy them out!!

On Amazon.com, it lists as $35 and shows up as a "used book", although it is NOT!! And through Amazon.co.UK.

I just bought the Royce's book from Amazon.co.uk.
    I can't wait to get it !!!!

Here's a great engine book:

Heinz Heisler advanced engine technology
    Publication Date: 12 Jan 1995
    ISBN-10: 0340568224
    ISBN-13: 978-0340568224

I have not read Heisler's other book, but I would guess it's also worth reading:

Heinz Heisler advanced vehicle technology
    Publication Date: 17 July 2002
    ISBN-10: 0750651318
    ISBN-13: 978-0750651318
    Edition: 2nd Revised edition

Cheers

I've read "Learn & Compete, A Primer for Formula SAE, Formula Student and Formula Hybrid Teams"

I think all engineers competing in Formula SAE should own this book. I think it’s a great reference for academic advisors also.

This book describes a number of important decision making processes very well. It will give the reader a good understanding of the overall context or ‘big picture’ of the competition, the major technical decisions, and the project management required.

This book encourages you to think of the all the interactions between vehicle systems. Student engineers typically struggle with these interactions. The book is also carefully crafted to cover all of the major ‘pitfalls’ that are encountered.

When it comes to technical information, this book is thorough, although it does not delve deeply into technical topics. Nearly every element of engineering design is covered, but not many ‘hard numbers’ are given. This book expects that you have a sound engineering education; you are prepared to do the work, and that you want to learn.

Let me explain this a little further by using chassis design as an example.

This is what the book does give you:
    Expected mass of the vehicle.
    A great lot of detail about ergonomics.
    A lot about packaging.
    A discussion about obvious load paths.
    A description of the tubing types that can be bought for a frame.
    A description of the tubing alloys that can be bought.
    A chart regarding baseline tube sections for the “mandated” members.
    An excellent explanation of the Structural Equivalency Spreadsheet (SES).
    Excellent details about mounting harness belts.

This is what the book does not give you:
    Advice about constructing FEA models.
    Targets for FEA and chassis torsional stiffness.
    Details about physical testing of frames.
    Use of linear load combinations and the allowable stress method in frame design.
    Weld metallurgical advice.
    Jigs / fixtures for manufacturing frames.

The shipping from Amazon was quick. Go buy it!

Frank Evans
    University of Queensland 2001-2005

Frank,
    Thank you.

Michael Royce

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast