+ Reply to Thread

Thread: whoops... :(

originally was going to call this topic bugger, but you americans dont say bugger when something goes wrong do you?
    anyway, here is something that has realllllllly gone wrong. actually, we will play a game here. see if you can figure out by the last photo exactly what has happened...

f4 engine, head and sump off, upside down on the edge of the table:

walking around it:

looking into the cylinders, can you see the fuckup yet?

close up:

did you get it right? that is a valve that has embedded itself about halfway into the piston. i had no idea how tough valves were before i saw this, quite amazing!
    we got this engine free from honda, it was an ex-testing engine, so i think it was one of the ones that they run at redline for a 1000 hours to see what breaks first. the thing has never worked too well.

but the guys testing it really should have stopped the engine when they picked up some bit of the valvetrain when it spat out the exhaust...

hehe, the story was that they were having all the sponsors come for a bbq and showoff day later on that day, so they needed the engine running. so when that peice came out the exhaust, they said "bugger it (we are australian, so we arent thinking of having anal sex with it!), we need the damn thing running, we will take a chance."

- if it isnt coming, you need a bigger tool.

[This message was edited by gug on July 31, 2003 at 08:40 AM.]

originally was going to call this topic bugger, but you americans dont say bugger when something goes wrong do you?
    anyway, here is something that has realllllllly gone wrong. actually, we will play a game here. see if you can figure out by the last photo exactly what has happened...

f4 engine, head and sump off, upside down on the edge of the table:

walking around it:

looking into the cylinders, can you see the fuckup yet?

close up:

did you get it right? that is a valve that has embedded itself about halfway into the piston. i had no idea how tough valves were before i saw this, quite amazing!
    we got this engine free from honda, it was an ex-testing engine, so i think it was one of the ones that they run at redline for a 1000 hours to see what breaks first. the thing has never worked too well.

but the guys testing it really should have stopped the engine when they picked up some bit of the valvetrain when it spat out the exhaust...

hehe, the story was that they were having all the sponsors come for a bbq and showoff day later on that day, so they needed the engine running. so when that peice came out the exhaust, they said "bugger it (we are australian, so we arent thinking of having anal sex with it!), we need the damn thing running, we will take a chance."

[This message was edited by gug on July 31, 2003 at 08:40 AM.]
    - ARC '04 member (now retired ) - Bling Bling Competition winners FSAE-A '04 (and design winners)

oh yeah, incase you cant tell from that picture, the only damage done to the valve is that the stem snapped off. otherwise there is literally not a scratch on it. it has destroyed the piston though! the hole goes clean through!

does anyone know of a free spot to post pictures? the account that i posted all the ones above on is about to expire.

- ARC '04 member (now retired ) - Bling Bling Competition winners FSAE-A '04 (and design winners)

okay, have uploaded all these files now to a permanent account, you can see them at oops albulm

+ Reply to Thread