+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 250cc inline 4s?

Going through alot of teams history pages over the years i've noticed that a lot of the cars from 5-10 years ago used 250cc inline 4s and reved the mess out of them. I'm wondering why that size and type of motor was selected. Was it rules? Or were the really that interesting. ( In the US its nearly impossible to buy an inline 4 <600ccs) It seems like that was the basis for the neat v8 So i'm really just wondering about the history of the 250cc motors as applied to FSAE

-Sloan

Going through alot of teams history pages over the years i've noticed that a lot of the cars from 5-10 years ago used 250cc inline 4s and reved the mess out of them. I'm wondering why that size and type of motor was selected. Was it rules? Or were the really that interesting. ( In the US its nearly impossible to buy an inline 4 &lt;600ccs) It seems like that was the basis for the neat v8 So i'm really just wondering about the history of the 250cc motors as applied to FSAE

-Sloan

I think UTA's use of the turbo 250 with so much success is why you've heard so much about it, and think it was popular.

What other teams have ever used a 250 I4?

I haven't done the calcs, but seems like without a turbo you'd be pressed to get as much torque out of a 250 as a 600. And I don't think the HP would be there either. So the big question is what would your weight gain be?

-Charlie Ping

I just need enough to tide me over until I need more.
    -Charlie Ping

Auburn FSAE Alum 00-04

umn's '99 car was a 250RR

its still sitting around somewhere, dry sump and all and it is feaking tiny

-Matthew Hetler
    hetl0020@umn.edu
    -Matthew Hetler
    hetl0020@umn.edu

What?? twin 250's.....so ur going to try and build the heaviest SAE car ever i see....hmmmm, good work grasshoper!
    Ive gone to look for myself, if i get back before i return, keep me here.

Yeh i agree.......dont try and be different for the sake of being different!.....2 crank shafts, 2 gearboxs.....u've got to be joking!

The edge is not the limit it is mearly the beginning!

Deakin University Phantom Engineering Team Captain
    The edge is not the limit it is mearly the beginning!

Deakin University

Did I miss something? Who said anything about 2 250cc engines??

-Charlie Ping

I just need enough to tide me over until I need more.
    -Charlie Ping

Auburn FSAE Alum 00-04

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ZenBearClaw:
    ... It seems like that was the basis for the neat v8 ....
    -Sloan<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Charlie,
    You took the words out of my mouth. Who said anything about two engines? All I can figure is that the V8 thing threw them off. Yes our V8 used 250cc four stroke heads. No it didn't have two crankshafts.

Are the 250cc engines really that light? Can anyone post some weights for one?

James Waltman
    http://dot.etec.wwu.edu/fsae/
    Vehicle Research Institute at
    Western Washington University
    James Waltman
    VRI at WWU Alumn
    FSAE 01 to 05
    http://dot.etec.wwu.edu/fsae/

hrmm....now that looks heavy...just wondering how the F@#K do you cost that piece of...sh ahh i mean work..yeh!
    Ive gone to look for myself, if i get back before i return, keep me here.

Didn't you read the rules? Engine cost is determined by displacement!!!

Daniel Deussen
    www.walbro-italy.com
    Daniel Deussen
    www.weber-motor.de
    Saginaw Valley State University Alum
    Cardinal Formula Racing '99 - '05
    FSAE: 6th in '02 and 8th in '05
    FSG: Member of the Operative Team (Scrutineering, Dynamics)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast