+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Alabama SCCA hosting autocross weekend

My name is Jordan, Im on the FSAE team at Auburn, and I'm also a member of the Alabama Region SCCA in Birmingham, AL. I wanted to let everyone know that we are having our "Super Solo Shootout" autocross event (our big summer event) on Sunday July 12, 2009. Some of the guys suggested that it might be fun if we invited the formula teams from the surrounding states to come to our autocross and run their formula cars on an SCCA-style course. I have discussed it with our Event Chair; you could bring multiple cars and we would allow as many drivers as you want for $15/driver (to cover insurance). If we get a few teams to come to this event, we hope that in the future we could get a sponsor to cover the entry fees so that the formula teams could all run for free. I sent personal e-mails to some of our neighboring states' teams (I'm sorry if you're reading this again) but I didn't want to miss anyone that might want to come, so I thought I should post it here. I know it's a bit of a drive for many of you, but I thought that this might be an opportunity for a fun, laid-back competition after California is over, and a chance for everyone's drivers to get some extra seat time. (please continue reading if you think that it might be too long of a drive for one day of competition, there's another event on Saturday)...

The "Super Solo Shootout" is a once-a-year event for the ALSCCA region. We try to get food and drink vendors and have at least a 90-second course (we try for 2 minutes, but it's hard to guesstimate when you're designing it). Our parking lot is the Birmingham Race Course (the dog track) parking lot, and it is about 5X the size of your typical Home Depot or Lowe's parking lot, so a 2 minute course is fairly easy for us to map out. We usually get 5 or 6 runs at each event. This would be a lot of seat time for your drivers, especially if you have new drivers to train for next year.

To make the long drive more worth it, on Saturday, July 11, the Twickenham Auto Club (TAC) in Huntsville, AL is hosting an autocross, and I was going to attempt to make this a two-day FSAE event. Huntsville is about an hour and a half north of Birmingham, and they have an EXCELLENT site. If there is enough interest, it is entirely feasible that some teams go to the Huntsville event on Saturday, and we may be able to get a deal for dinner/hotels that Saturday night in Birmingham, and then go to the "main event," the Birmingham Super Solo Shootout on Sunday.

If you're interested in this event, please e-mail me for more information, right now I'm trying to get an idea of how many teams might be interested in coming to this event, and I was trying to give everyone enough notice so that it wouldn't be a surprise.

Thanks for your attention! Feel free to e-mail me with any questions, or if you think your team might want to compete --

Jordan Towns
    townstj@auburn.edu
    -- "I am here to live aloud." -Emile Zola

My name is Jordan, Im on the FSAE team at Auburn, and I'm also a member of the Alabama Region SCCA in Birmingham, AL. I wanted to let everyone know that we are having our "Super Solo Shootout" autocross event (our big summer event) on Sunday July 12, 2009. Some of the guys suggested that it might be fun if we invited the formula teams from the surrounding states to come to our autocross and run their formula cars on an SCCA-style course. I have discussed it with our Event Chair; you could bring multiple cars and we would allow as many drivers as you want for $15/driver (to cover insurance). If we get a few teams to come to this event, we hope that in the future we could get a sponsor to cover the entry fees so that the formula teams could all run for free. I sent personal e-mails to some of our neighboring states' teams (I'm sorry if you're reading this again) but I didn't want to miss anyone that might want to come, so I thought I should post it here. I know it's a bit of a drive for many of you, but I thought that this might be an opportunity for a fun, laid-back competition after California is over, and a chance for everyone's drivers to get some extra seat time. (please continue reading if you think that it might be too long of a drive for one day of competition, there's another event on Saturday)...

The "Super Solo Shootout" is a once-a-year event for the ALSCCA region. We try to get food and drink vendors and have at least a 90-second course (we try for 2 minutes, but it's hard to guesstimate when you're designing it). Our parking lot is the Birmingham Race Course (the dog track) parking lot, and it is about 5X the size of your typical Home Depot or Lowe's parking lot, so a 2 minute course is fairly easy for us to map out. We usually get 5 or 6 runs at each event. This would be a lot of seat time for your drivers, especially if you have new drivers to train for next year.

To make the long drive more worth it, on Saturday, July 11, the Twickenham Auto Club (TAC) in Huntsville, AL is hosting an autocross, and I was going to attempt to make this a two-day FSAE event. Huntsville is about an hour and a half north of Birmingham, and they have an EXCELLENT site. If there is enough interest, it is entirely feasible that some teams go to the Huntsville event on Saturday, and we may be able to get a deal for dinner/hotels that Saturday night in Birmingham, and then go to the "main event," the Birmingham Super Solo Shootout on Sunday.

If you're interested in this event, please e-mail me for more information, right now I'm trying to get an idea of how many teams might be interested in coming to this event, and I was trying to give everyone enough notice so that it wouldn't be a surprise.

Thanks for your attention! Feel free to e-mail me with any questions, or if you think your team might want to compete --

Jordan Towns
    townstj@auburn.edu

I have received a couple of e-mails asking if this event is still happening, so I thought I would post that it is! It looks like there will be 3 to 4 FSAE teams attending this two-day event, so if you have a couple of cars running and a couple of drivers that might want some more seat time, feel free to come out! $15/driver both days. As many cars as you can bring. As many drivers as you can bring. Please e-mail for more information if you think you want to attend this event!

Jordan
    townstj@auburn.edu

+ Reply to Thread