+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: FSAE World Ranking: Who is Number 1 worldwide?

Originally posted by flavorPacket:
    One risk management admin who's a jerk or one purchasing lady with a bad attitude can change everything.
    You obviously are a true FSAE member that understands the system.

I have an engine dyno that we dont use because of reasons like this.

Originally posted by flavorPacket:
    In my opinion, it's disrespectful to think that teams without lots of on-campus resources aren't trying just as hard to get them just because you were able to make progress with your particular university.
    I never said that. My example was only to show that it wasn't 'given' to us.

You are right in any given situation, there is some luck involved. But it's how you deal with the problems that makes you a good team. There's always another way to accomplish a goal. Believe me,we had our share of people that tried to discourage us or keep things from happening.

Existing relationships can sometimes be more difficult than establishing new ones. There's a lot of red tape involved once your team becomes more closly aligned with a university. Nothing is free!
    -Charlie Ping

Auburn FSAE Alum 00-04

It's tempting to have the "woe is me" attitude. But we're making steady progress. We received a $5000 donation from the engineering alumni association for a dyno. We're working on getting new sponsors. We are still a relatively small team (as far as student demand to be a part of the team is concerned). That's our biggest obstacle, getting enough students involved. We have way too much work per person. The guy that is in charge of sponsorships is also the guy that does almost all of our welding, and he also makes sure purchases are in order and everything. He simply can't devote all the time that is needed to sponsorships, because he is too busy with everything else. The same goes for the rest of the team. I can find intake design proposals online written by a team of three people. I myself am solely responsible for intake and exhaust design and construction, and engine tuning. On top of that, I have to make sure our new dyno setup will last a few decades. I'm also probably expected to be one of our drivers. Which brings me to the other issue besides manpower: testing. It is next to impossible for us to test our car due to our location in Manhattan. It is at least a two-hour drive to any place we can use legally. It would cost a significant amount to take the car on a two hour trip because we need to rent the transport. Which comes back to money that we don't have because everyone on the team is so busy, which comes back to lack of manpower. At the moment, we have more people than ever, but they are almost all juniors. We are finding it very hard to recruit freshman. Part of that is the atmosphere here. Invariably the first question that is asked about our project when we tell ANYONE on campus about it is "what kind of gas mileage does it get?" or any other generic "green" question. Being a race car, the answer will never be that good. But I do try to make it a point that if it were driven on a highway it would probably get better gas mileage than a Prius.

It may sound like I'm just complaining, but I'm not. Just identifying the issues our team faces, issues we need to figure out how to overcome. I think the one that will probably never go away is the testing/driver training thing (unless someone wants to volunteer their daily driver, but no one here has a car).
    Mountain Lion Motorsports

After looking over the Competitveness of Events I must say that I think the weighting is not nearly strong enough. I think competitiveness should range from 0.6-1.0 or so.

Could this be considered? I just don't feel like Japan and Brasil can even come close the Michigan.

Originally posted by Hector:
    Could this be considered? I just don't feel like Japan and Brasil can even come close the Michigan.
    Given the registered teams, this year I expect Hockenheim will be the standard.
    Bob Paasch
    Faculty Advisor
    Global Formula Racing team/Oregon State SAE

Lol...

I just realized that we aren't number one anymore although we won FS UK.
    The reason is we gained less than 800 points. Quite funny.
    Rennteam Uni Stuttgart
    2008: Seat and Bodywork
    2009: Team captain

GreenTeam Uni Stuttgart
    2010: Seat and Bodywork / Lamination whore

Formula Student Austria
    2012: Operative Team

Indeed, but with UWA there is at least a really good team in front of you.

I don`t trust this ranking with us being second amongst the german speaking (well we try to speak german...) teams. I think it has to do something with our focus towards the dynamic events.

I hope we can get into the top 10 before Switzerland joins the EU ;-)
    '07 Suspension ETH Zurich
    '08 Chassis ETH Zurich
    '09 Chassis ETH Zurich

UWA is indeed one of the absolute best teams in the world at the moment and I'm really looking forward to compete against them at Hockenheim.
    It's going to be a great competition for sure.
    Rennteam Uni Stuttgart
    2008: Seat and Bodywork
    2009: Team captain

GreenTeam Uni Stuttgart
    2010: Seat and Bodywork / Lamination whore

Formula Student Austria
    2012: Operative Team

I don't want to start any kind of argument, but I must ask: does anyone else see an issue with Sophia and Tokyo placing 4 and 5, respectively? This seems out of place with the competition results at World Championship events.
    "Gute Fahrer haben die Fliegenreste auf den Seitenscheiben."
    --Walter Röhrl

Originally posted by Bemo:
    Lol...

I just realized that we aren't number one anymore although we won FS UK.
    The reason is we gained less than 800 points. Quite funny.
    Well then, I guess you shouldn't have gone out in the rain and stop driving while there was oil on the track
    We went up one place

Cheers,
    Miki Hegedus
    Delft University of Technology

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast