+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: FSAE World Ranking: Who is Number 1 worldwide?

During the last years the number of Events and Teams grown year by year. Everybody wants to know which team is the best worldwide.

Therefore a couple of people created the first world ranking. This world ranking list will be updated after each event.

And here it is, the first ranking:

WR University WRPoints Country City
    1 Universität Stuttgart 828,28 DEU Stuttgart
    2 University of Western Australia 798,31 AUS Perth
    3 University of Wisconsin-Madison 778,35 USA Madison
    4 University of Toronto 751,85 CAN Toronto
    5 TU Delft 750,41 NLD Delft
    6 Sophia University 750,35 JPN Tokyo
    7 The University of Tokyo 748,49 JPN Tokyo
    8 University of Florida 739,97 USA Gainesville
    9 Missouri University of Science and Technology 711,47 USA Rolla
    10 Technische Universität Graz 699,61 AUT Graz

The ranking of all teams during the last years can be found on here: FS World Ranking

Frank Roeske

So is this based on just the total number of points earned?

If so, can we make that points earned per dollar spent? Just for fun.
    Wesley
    OU Sooner Racing Team Alum '09

connecting-rods.blogspot.com

that'd be difficult since the each team's budget is not exactly known....
    Finished @ UofT Racing
    2003-2007
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

I think this would be a great idea, although difficult. It would truly demonstrate who the most clever and innovative are.

Originally posted by Wesley:
    So is this based on just the total number of points earned?

If so, can we make that points earned per dollar spent? Just for fun.
    University of Saskatchewan
    Old balls memeber

I don't see how this is really valid. A team that gets 900 points at a 120 car competition cannot be compared to a car that gets 900 points at a 25 car competition. The only way this would work if the stakes at each race would be the same (weighting). Imagine in F1 that with the constructors and drivers points race would look like if some teams didn't show up to certain events.

Well, they weight each competition based on the "competitiveness of the event" each year, I'm assuming based on total attendance.
    Wesley

Originally posted by RacingManiac:
    that'd be difficult since the each team's budget is not exactly known....
    I know. But it'd be informative to know.
    Wesley

Hmmm Frank,

sorry to say that but in my opinion totally meaningless. Like it was said before you can't compare the different events. It is far more harder to win in Germany, perhaps the strongest event worldwide than in Italy which is more a fun event.
    And it is quite unfair to take the last six events into account. This means
    - teams who don't exist for more than 3 years have no chance to make a good rank... A special rule should be made for that
    - a brilliantly good team with bad luck is ruled out when they failed 1-2 events. For example the Technical University of Munich: in my opinion one of the 5 fastest cars in the world for the last years with an unbelievable tough luck. Look how fast Mike Rockenfeller drove their last years car in the show event in Hockenheim against last years car from Stuttgart. It think the difference was more than 2 seconds. And in this statistics Munich is placed 107.

What about a ranking which is leaned on the old F1 rules from the 80s?
    You count five or six events-results for a teams and you have two void results which don't count. And of course a special rule for teams who didn't compete in that many events at all.

But nevertheless, there is no doubt for first place

the quality of a car/team also includes the preparation/reliability that allows it to complete an event. I think that if a team builds 'good' cars that fail to finish all events then maybe the car isn't so good afterall. We have certainly had our fair share of failures at competition, and although in some cases we were unlucky that the timing coincided with an event, I don't think there's many failures that are purely bad luck.

Anyway, I think this is reasonably interesting, even if it has flaws, gives you a nice thing to aim for in regards to trying to move up the world rankings
    Malcolm Graham
    University of Auckland '06-'09
    www.fsae.co.nz

Originally posted by MalcolmG:
    the quality of a car/team also includes the preparation/reliability that allows it to complete an event. I think that if a team builds 'good' cars that fail to finish all events then maybe the car isn't so good afterall.
    That's right for sure. But we have to consider that we as students are all limited in our ressources, knowledge time and money. Thus, it's is in the nature of the competition that our cars aren't that reliable as a Formula 1,2,3 car.
    OK, any team which only finishes in 1 of 3 occasions shouldn't be within the range of top teams according to this list. But 1-2 void results should be a thought!
    Without something like that the list is maculation and too much influenced by "luck", sorry to say that.
    Or can any team out here assert that they finished all of their last six events???

I remember battery terminals from aftersale batteries which loosened, perfectly timed backfire destroying airboxes, cones striking the kill switch, material defects in newly delivered gearboxes or chain drives which surrendered in the last lap.

Nobody is immune to that, especially in FSAE/FS. But a failure like that will put you down in the last at least 10-20 places.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast