+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: Formula SAE West 2009 Competition: - Updates, Pictures, Stories, and More

In case the pictures never get approved in the previous message, you can right click and hit "view image"

-Jonathan

Here's my photos from FSAE West, the rule that only allowed photographers on track at the same time as their cars made it so I could only get pics of the cars that happened to be around when the Calgary car was out, unfortunately.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/c...s/72157620520827313/

Trevor Miles
    Project Manager
    University of Calgary FSAE

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dino:
    Anyone know if we can get a hold of the raw endurance lap times? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You might be able to get your times if you contact one of the SAE organizers or the official score keeper but you probably won't be able to get all of the lap times.

My Endurance pictures are up.
    The gallery:
    http://www.wwufsae.com/Waltman...t/Endurance_Gallery/
    The zip file with everything from the gallery is here:
    http://www.wwufsae.com/Waltman...CE_JAMES_WALTMAN.zip

I’m happy to share with anyone – email me if you’d like to use them for anything other than personal use (like for a team website). I may have some of your school even if it’s not in the gallery – just ask.

Here’s a few:

Missouri S&T

Washington

Oregon State

UTA

Cal

Illinois

UCR
    James Waltman
    VRI at WWU Alumn
    FSAE ˜01 to ˜05
    http://dot.etec.wwu.edu/fsae/

What the heck, I posted some pics and it says I posted phrases that needed mod approval. Bizarre.

Well, here's the Flickr link anyway.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/c...s/72157620520827313/
    Trevor Miles
    Project Manager
    University of Calgary FSAE

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hagmuller:
    Things like broken starter clutches and starter motors and boxes of fouled spark plugs are generally a good indication of this. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The starter problem with the Aprilias is a known factory issue - they've tried to address it several times. Many of the bikes themselves go through 3 or 4 starters in their lifetimes, and the fact that there's a guy rewinding them specifically speaks to the market there are for these things. Any team running an Ape will have a couple of replacement starters on hand at any time.

Anyone who thinks the starter related problems are a result simply of "poor tuning" is ignorant.

And if there were people before us doing it, then at least we'd know if the thing ran! We were pioneering for our team, we've never run anything but 4-cyls.
    Wesley
    OU Sooner Racing Team Alum '09

connecting-rods.blogspot.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wesley:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hagmuller:
    Things like broken starter clutches and starter motors and boxes of fouled spark plugs are generally a good indication of this. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The starter problem with the Aprilias is a known factory issue - they've tried to address it several times. Many of the bikes themselves go through 3 or 4 starters in their lifetimes, and the fact that there's a guy rewinding them specifically speaks to the market there are for these things. Any team running an Ape will have a couple of replacement starters on hand at any time.

Anyone who thinks the starter related problems are a result simply of "poor tuning" is ignorant.

And if there were people before us doing it, then at least we'd know if the thing ran! We were pioneering for our team, we've never run anything but 4-cyls. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well excuse my Ignorance. I only know enough to be dangerous.

Alex Hagmuller
    OSU FSAE Engine Team

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wesley:

And if there were people before us doing it, then at least we'd know if the thing ran! We were pioneering for our team, we've never run anything but 4-cyls. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Alex was probably talking about mine and my predecessors' great problems with getting our ZX6R engine to reliably start. Previous teams had taken to making replacement parts for the starter clutch pins because they broke them so often. In my senior year we never actually blew up a starter clutch but still had plenty of problems with fouled plugs and and not getting the engine to start.
    Josh Gillett
    Oregon State FSAE '04-'06

My post was not meant to be offensive, and I apologize if it came off as such.

The tune will kill the starter, you are absolutely correct. That's definitely what killed our first one or two. The system is just marginal to begin with.
    Wesley
    OU Sooner Racing Team Alum '09

connecting-rods.blogspot.com

My post was not meant to be offensive, and I apologize if it came off as such.

The tune will kill the starter, you are absolutely correct. That's definitely what killed our first one or two. The system is just marginal to begin with. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, None taken. I am very interested in the Aprillia for what it is, but there are few reasons why we didn't go for it. If I were to buy a motorcycle it probably would be the 550 SXV.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast