+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 62 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 57 ... LastLast

Thread: Things I love about Formula SAE

Originally posted by Trevor:

-giving tours to incoming freshman and their parents... and interesting only the parents
    Having one of those tours come near your lab while you yell at the computer calling it a 'piece of shit' and requesting that it should 'suck my balls'

We try and recruit as many people for the university as we can...
    Sooner Racing Team
    University of Oklahoma
    Chief Engineer 08-09
    Team Captain 06-08

sae.ou.edu

Most fantastic thread.

+1 to the taping/bonding/welding people/car parts/chairs/tables/cars/cones/brooms to each other

+1 to graduating with your class... I wish.

+1 to the lack of sleep, copious consumption of sugar and energy

- Filling the team leaders draw with expanding foam, screwing the drawer in, and unscrewing the handle.

- Turning the team leader's stationary tray into a savoury snack treat with many items of perishable food, putting it in his drawer overnight and taping the drawer shut to keep in the smell.

- The weekly fights across the workshop/hotel where acceptable ammunition include muesli bars, Moro bars, pens, phone books, cans, anything left that isn't bonded/glued/taped to the floor

- Learning to make anything with a linisher

- Remaking the steering link jig 7 times because it was too innacurate every time, only to not need said jig (wasn't me, but good regardless)

- Turning around to find a newbie saying that there is a fire downstairs by the welder and asking what to do about it when the extinguisher was two metres behind them

- Trying to explain to newbies that it doesn't matter what time they want to come to the workshop, I will probably be there.

- That the forth meal in the day, sometime around midnight, is reffered to as the FSAE meal

- Making of various fun toys. My favorites are the Sonic chair (a chair mounted on two car springs welded together with some 300mm wide channel for the base, and an old harness so you don't fall off), a 2-stroke drill (drill chuck attached to weadeater motor), and various lethal items made for insertion into battery drills.

- The feeling you get when, after wasting an hour trying to do a project, you forfeit the 5% attached to it as collateral so you can get back onto the cost report.

- The feeling you get when you decide not to go to a test because you are going to get 0 anyway, having not gone to a lecture or read a single page of notes for over a month so you can finish the cost report which must be sent that afternoon, having already spent the last 48hours on it

- Not wanting to look at your exam results until after the comp, even though everyone else is discussing theirs
    "He who dies with the most toys wins"

A couple of old stories from F-SAE 07.

Rebuilding your entire diff housing because a leak, at hotel's room, while trying not to stain the carpet floor with diff oil (quite a nasty stuff). When the rebuild is done, some guy threw away his "cherry pepsi + cherry lipton El Presidente" cup all over the carpet. JUST after you've removed at least 10 sq meters out of plastic bags and duct tape to cover the floor...

Going to McDonalds at late night when there's only drive thru. But, when you're hungry, and have no car but a carbon steering wheel and 4 pals, each with a 13" rim..
    Drive thru girl accepted "that" as a "car".

Being the visitors that NO ONE wants in their hotel rooms.
    -----------------------------------
    Drivetrain Leader 07-08
    Technical Director 08-09
    Team FSAE USB - Caracas - Venezuela.

Being jealous of the other teams at MIS with fancy headsets and frabricating our own out of earmurphs, a piece of tubing, a toothpaste cap, and some alligator clips with wire. We showed them...
    Conor Riordan
    Lincoln Design Judge 2013
    Michigan Design Judge 2012, 2014
    Notre Dame 2009
    WMU Team Captain 2008

[quote]Originally posted by jaca:

.. or you can light the torch directly from a tig arc, but that's arguably an even worse idea
    Converted a propane grill to charcoal and made a spatula with some tubing and sheet metal...but then had no way of lighting the charcoal except for a TIG welder and lighter fluid. It just made so much sense at the time....

This thread is great !!

-Having a mini Gumball Rally everywhere the team goes.
    -Leaving people places because we are in a mini Gumball Rally and don't have time to check for everybody.
    -Buying brake cleaner, brake fluid, engine oil and gatorade, and telling the cashier we are going to make Hunch Punch. (at 2am)
    -Seeing our powertrain team leader start fires with a MIG welder, trash can and brake clean that was in the trash can.
    -Having to clean the shop after putting out said fire because the stuff in a fire extinguisher got into the ventilation and got everywhere. (extremely caustic)
    -Pulling more all-nighters for the car than class.
    -Parents/girlfriends/friends not understanding why this program is so important to us.
    -Explaining to a tech judge how a fuel check valve works.

-Getting in to the machine shop next door with a hacksaw blade for some late night machining

-White boards and 33 hour drives to Michigan

-Redline inside the building

-Driving it on the street back to the shop after the homecoming parade http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCqeckVHEsM http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...zWto&feature=related

-50 tacos on Del Tacos 3/$1 Taco Tuesday for meetings

-Hanging hammocks in the shop because the house 1 mile away is just too far

-The 12 on the clock has been replaced with "7-11"

-No money in the bank account

-"Cook your own tortillas" and an electric skillet next to the flamables cabinet

-the Bajano

-Having the 30ft SAE poster from the Judges tent in Michigan in our Shop

-15 Passenger Vans and undercover cops

-Using a circular wood saw to cut out the billets for the uprights

-Finding the janitor sleeping on our couch at random hours of the day because he knows that no respectable person will be caught in our shop

-Ordering at the drive through in the FSAE car because there is no room in the cab of the truck and in AZ it is legal to be in the bed.

-Your mom

-Buying our spare engine for competition from a chop shop on the way to competition at 3AM

-Team moto: "next year"

+1 to everything here!

Not making it to competition when your first of many all nighters started back in October. Yeah I love that.

Having 3 cars in the lab at one time and none of them run. Thats a fun one.

Oh my favorite, trying to get your engine dyno working for about 18 consecutive months.
    Ryan M.

-rebuilding dampers in a hotel sink full of damper fluid...only to leave the spring perches in the hotel when we left for the track in the morning

-replacing a clutch on track during the autocross event...and putting it in backwards

this thread has me and my team close to tears, keep it up!
    "Gute Fahrer haben die Fliegenreste auf den Seitenscheiben."
    --Walter Röhrl

-watching our treasurer get a 13'6 tall box van stuck under a (marked) 11'6 overpass

in the middle of harlem

at 2 am

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 62 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 57 ... LastLast