+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 62 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast

Thread: Things I love about Formula SAE

-that I can hardly read this screen right now because my eyes burn from the exhaust smoke in our poorly (read:not) ventilated parking garage while trying out Autotune like t-pain
    Mountain Lion Motorsports

This is the best thread this forum has seen in a long time.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Scalesy:

-Trying to explain to a cop at a DUI checkpoint at midnight on a Friday night, that I was working on a race car, not out drinking.

[QUOTE]

-explaining to a cop at a DUI checkpoint that the shirts u and a buddy are wearing are a racing teams shirt and you were at a car show, after have a couple and on your way to a party. meanwhile he makes u blow and good thing you didnt have much.
    -marcus, what about losing a wheel on the way home from cali last year,
    -flying to cali after the teams 33 hour drive, asking what work we should be getting done and then being bitched at b/c they just drove 33 hours.
    -waking up on the couch in the student council office to the janitor at 7:00am b/c you just feel asleep there an hour ealier
    -the womens bathroom becomes the sae bathroom (b/c is is closer) after 5:30 b/c we all know that there is no women in the building.
    -late nights/early
    -so many more

-some of the best people and times of my life

Keith
    Polar Bear Racing

- Builiding rifles with pneumatic cleaner to regain creativity in desperate moments
    - Accelerating-old-bearings-with-pneumatic-cleaner-and-see-how-far-it-can-fly-competition
    - Attacking mates' shorts with pneumatic cleaner or brake disc cleaner when kneeing under the car
    - transporting monocoque toolings in my Golfie for several 100 km's with car already screaming on its bumpstops
    - transporting at least 2 spare tires while driving a motorcycle
    - entering McDrive with FS-car on trailer
    - seeing rabbits pairing in front of our garage at 4 am
    - driving barefoot while sharing my best socks as a replacement for a forgotten air filter and see it burning down from airbox backfire
    - having to burn down 3 sets of brand new tires in 2 days at the end of the year before sending them back to Pirelli
    - see one of our drivers totally nailing one of our huge cones which flies high up in the air and somehow lands back directly on his helmet and gets stuck

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
    <LI>Getting all exited when "The boat engine make noise!"
    <LI>Starting as a sparky with no automotive experience and trying to explain to the black-handers that their "Injector coils" were now wired up and work...
    <LI>Using the strongest stripper and a whole bunch of dirty rags for hours on end... Paint stripper that is.
    <LI>Throwing a whiteboard in front of a desk and then crawling under the desk, using sponsor t-shirts as pillows so you can sleep and no-one notices.
    <LI>You go to the toilet more often than not, knowing your urine is more energy drink than anything else.
    <LI>+1 For always being asked "oh are you that go-karting team?"
    <LI>Using MOSFETs to implement an electronic shifter, not realising inductive loads MUST be diode supressed. Then turning around to your team leader and yelling it works! Only to turn back and realise the wires in your hands were now on on fire.[/list]
    ACME Racing
    UNSW@ADFA

-we rebuilt our rims (including some really nasty-ass sealant) in the hotel BATHROOM, so we win...
    -we don't use carbon, so I have no idea what the black stuff is that comes out of my nose all the time now
    -mig slag for the loss (my poor balls)

Engine Head
    Columbia University FSAE
    - Rebuilding your engine in your hotel bathroom and leaking the oil from the truck to your room.

Scott
    Rutgers FSAE

- Being up until 2-4am with 2 other team members getting the car ready to go testing, sleeping in the trailer, then getting up at 7-9am and driving for a hour to the test track, breaking something after running for 10 minutes and coming back to repeat it all
    - Having 10 times more "dirty/working on car clothes" than "going into public" clothes
    -"Oh hey mom. Yea, I'm in the shop again. Nah nothin new, bye."
    -Trying to explain to a cop at a DUI checkpoint at midnight on a Friday night, that I was working on a race car, not out drinking.
    -the metal shaving bits...
    All too true....
    Finished @ UofT Racing
    2003-2007
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

-Be stuck at customs for 3 hours trying to explain that the car in your trailer doesn't have any VIN or serial number
    -Your breakfast is energy drink
    -Giving a heart-shaped carbon fiber plate to your girlfriend as an excuse for being at the shop during her birthday
    -Realising at 1h00am when the trailer is packed and you're ready to leave that you have a flat tire on the trailer and the shootout you're attending starts at 7h30 and you're still 600 km away
    -When not finding a lighter, actually trying to ignite your torch while grinding steel near it (btw, it doesn't work but you can still light paper with a mig and then light the torch)
    -Considering using Motul 300V engine oil as a personal lubricant because it smells so good
    -Selling beer in a traffic jam on a highway outside of Las Vegas while being in the school truck

This thread is really, really good.

- When not finding a lighter, actually trying to ignite your torch while grinding steel near it (btw, it doesn't work but you can still light paper with a mig and then light the torch)
    this can work

.. or you can light the torch directly from a tig arc, but that's arguably an even worse idea

you know, hypothetically

Actually, we did try it but it didn't work. Let's say I wasn't the one who did it I didn't want to stay close either. I also forgot this one:
    -Pierce manually 300 1/4'' holes in a steel sheet for our muffler inner tube because the laser cutting company did think the file we sent was a joke

-you've ever gone to security to grab the key and "open up" the shop at 3:00am
    -you now find speed channel pretty boring outside of actual races and the powerblock on spike is like watching a special ed class after all the things you've learned doing FSAE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 62 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast