+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 62 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast

Thread: Things I love about Formula SAE

Just adding to the list...

-saying "see you tomorrow" to the regular classmate coming to school in the morning after an allnighter

-hauling 400+lb of metal/jig part/supplies in the back of a 4 cylinder Camry

-tailgating the rental Ryder Truck to get the best possible gas mileage...and getting pull over for it...

-beating the grad students to the student machine shop and claiming all the machines.

-getting 3am slurpie at the corner 7-11 in the spring.

-getting 3am slurpie at the corner 7-11 in the winter.

-the 2nd wind after the slurpie, and the crash 2 hrs later...

-the all night daft punk when you are in a state of trance...

-wet weather testing(not)

-finding the most awkward position and places to fall asleep in....
    Finished @ UofT Racing
    2003-2007
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

A lot of these are weirdly universal...

-how many times I've heard "those rod ends look too small"

-getting the car running at 4am with 3 guys, one of whom is in charge of the fire extinguisher

-breaking all the bandsaw blades and being tempted to use the mill to cut off the material needed
    Formula SAE: When you just can't get rid of a girlfriend.

-Carbon fiber work in a hotel parking lot at 3AM
    -non-stop noise complaints from the old lady across the street (even when it isn't us)
    -exploding dyno chains
    -having the LAPD called on you and getting kicked out of your hotel after failing endurance for the 5th year in a row
    -blowing you nose and having more carbon than snot come out
    -"my skyline is faster"
    -burning a hole in crotch of jeans with grinder sparks

Marcus

one more..
    -getting ready to fire the car in the shop at 11pm and still trying to figure out why it doesn't start at 5 am....
    Finished @ UofT Racing
    2003-2007
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Originally posted by Auerbach:
    Holy hell, being an alum, this thread brought a tear to my eye.

My friends still call the roadster I'm building a "go-kart" and I still want to punch them in the face.
    +1! I personally own one of the cars I built during my time... all my friends call it my go-cart, at least one of them has been assulted for it...

- +1 to all the stupid questions (how fast, is it street legal, etc...)
    - Pulling into a gas station to get a red bull so you can finish driving home after an all nighter to pick up parts, only to fall asleep in the driver seat, with the car off, but key still on and drain your battery.
    - Getting a call from 1/2 to 1 mile away from a friend asking if I was just running the car, only to restart the car from the shop and confirm that was indeed the noise he heard
    - +1 to the friends
    - +1 to Carbon fiber/bondo/random material when you blow your nose
    - Getting calls from customer or calling suppliers for the family business, to find a FSAE alum from another school, and talking about all these same memories
    - Graduating, and still spending all your time in a garage working on an FSAE car
    - Parking tickets for parking in the "United Way Only" parking behind the shop at 3am
    WPI Formula SAE team

-Walking across campus and into a lecture with safety glasses still on.

-- A brilliant design that is not finished on time is useless. A simple design that is well developed is a much better practice of engineering
    - CS

-forgetting you have a welding helmet on, flipped up, while going to get food

+1 to pandora's Daft punk station

Taking advantage of DQ's snow special on blizzards and maxing out the order

Lifting the car over the 1 inch bump entering the shop EVERYTIME!

Driving the car out of the shop... pushing it back.

3.5 hours blowing off the school parking lot to reach 1.2 Gs of lateral acceleration.

Saying good morning to professors walk in to school only because you've been there all night.

On a Boat, dick in a box, chocolate rain, cookin by the book, numa numa, Boats and Hoes, Powerthirst, Wolford Brimley and many many more

Yeah, all-nighters are fun, and failing class, and the idiots who claim that they could beat you in a firebird/camaro/skyline, etc.

But I've got to second Brian's. I went to the local racing parts retailer at 8 AM, almost falling asleep on the highway (having been up all night). Upon finding they don't open until 9, I waited in my truck. Sometime around 10:30, the owner woke me up because he was concerned someone had died in the parking lot.
    And:
    -Being on a first name basis with the Saturday morning gas station clerk, aka coffee vendor
    -FSAE West
    -For that matter, any needless trip halfway across the country
    -The SCCA crowd
    -Pissing off sponsors, school administrators, etc.
    -Booze
    David Collins
    Sooner Racing Team

"By definition, a hard driver is one possessing little, if any, brains."

Originally posted by Beaudry:
    -Carbon fiber work in a hotel parking lot at 3AM
    -blowing you nose and having more carbon than snot come out
    -burning a hole in crotch of jeans with grinder sparks

Marcus
    -we rebuilt our rims (including some really nasty-ass sealant) in the hotel BATHROOM, so we win...
    -we don't use carbon, so I have no idea what the black stuff is that comes out of my nose all the time now
    -mig slag for the loss (my poor balls)
    Mountain Lion Motorsports

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 62 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast