+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A Question About Head Restraint

Smile A Question About Head Restraint

Hello everybody,
    I'm in charge of head restraint for YTU Racing Formula Student Team from Turkey. It is our first car. So, we don't have enough knowledge and experince. My question is about head restraint material and mounting. I am currently planning to use aluminium sheet metal 3-4 mm thickness and bonding the head restraing material to sheet metal. But I don't know it is OK for rules. Is there anybody who makes head restraint with this way? or what kind of head restraint mounting can I use? I'm looking forward for your responses.
    Our head restraint material is ensolite. (probably) But I'm not sure, it's looking exactly the same; http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2480/3...c8b70bea8e.jpg . Do you think it is ensolite foam?
    Sorry for my english.
    Best regards.

Hi yunikboy (?),

My team has used a few different methods but the most common was just Velcro (strips on the back of the head cushion matching up with some mounting on a steel sheet between the MRH). No need to go foam -> aluminium -> steel

I don't know about the material type, but if you are concerned you should contact the rules committee (assuming it's not spelt out in the rules themselves).

Your English is good
    Jay

UoW FSAE '07-'09

hello ppl
    I also have the same problem as yunkiboy
    I designed the head restraint in such a way that it was adjustable using bolts.
    Basically on a sheet of aluminum 2 holes on either side one on top and one on bottom and on the back side of the sheet metal were 2 metal strips with holes .
    You can easily move them up and down but there were some doubts regarding this.
    I am pretty sure it is acceptable in fsae bcoz it is adjustable isn't it??
    @Jay Lawrence sir, i had also though of using a Velcro but will judges accept it???
    Also does the Velcro have problems with adjustments??

@Jay thanks for your comment
    We are gonna make a big fix head restraint, so not needed adjustable things. I designed a head restraint for now, bonded the foam on the sheet metal than bolted on the chassis with L brackets, it will change again.

Sir? How do you know I'm a dude?

The scrutineers didn't have any problems with us using Velcro, but if you have a concern it is always best to contact your relevant rules committee. I'm not sure why you'd want an adjustable head rest. It just adds bolts and complexity. Why not just make it tall enough to accommodate your range of drivers?
    Jay

UoW FSAE '07-'09

can anyone plzz help me out here
    I am confused as to how to use a velcro for a head restraaint
    if anyone can send a pic it will be very useful plz i request u ppl to share some pics plz

edd_16,

omg it's like so ezy. Jus put sum Velcro on te drivers hed and sum more on te seat and u be gtg!
    Jay

UoW FSAE '07-'09

Ensolite is energy absorbing foam so I'm very positive it will be accepted as head restraint material.
    Sheridan Motorsports troll (2012-2014)
    Cubicle troll (2015 - God knows when)

+ Reply to Thread