+ Reply to Thread
Page 56 of 62 FirstFirst ... 6 46 54 55 56 57 58 ... LastLast

Thread: Things I love about Formula SAE

-Responding to the "are you guys solar car?" question with "yes... yes we are."
    I am glad we are not the only team having these problems. I suspect it is not just a Canadian thing.

The best conversation I had ever had recounted to me was from our 2010 team leader (TL) talking to a a group of girls (Girl#) from the business college down the road who stopped by when we were showing off the car.

Girl#1: Wow that is cool looking go kart.

...some more inane questions ensue followed by

Girl#1: I bet that is the stupidest question that you have ever heard huh?

TL: Nah. That question is not too bad. The dumbest question I ever heard was "Is this the solar car?"

Girl#2: Wait, this isn't the solar car...?

*FACEPALM*

TL: Nah. That question is not too bad. The dumbest question I ever heard was "Is this the solar car?"
    Besides the endless "why isn't there a turbo?" questions, we've had somebody legitimately believe that the car would be faster if we put bicycle tires on it instead of racing slicks.
    Matt Schroeder
    University of Calgary FSAE, Schulich Racing

"Racing is life. Everything else is just waiting"

Originally posted by Matt S:
    Besides the endless "why isn't there a turbo?" questions, we've had somebody legitimately believe that the car would be faster if we put bicycle tires on it instead of racing slicks.
    ... There's a lot to be said about reducing rotating, unsprung mass.

We also get a lot of solar car questions. I have no idea why, as our school hasn't done the solar car event in close to 10 years as far as I know. My favorite is when the conversation goes like this

Me: I build racecars for a school project.
    Aunt/grandparent/stranger: Oh one of those solar powered cars!
    Me: No it uses a motorcycle engine. We also make a hybrid racecar for a different competition.
    Aunt/grandparent/stranger: Oh so it is a solar powered car.
    Me: No. Different car, also not solar powered.

Originally posted by Matt S:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">TL: Nah. That question is not too bad. The dumbest question I ever heard was "Is this the solar car?"
    Besides the endless "why isn't there a turbo?" questions, we've had somebody legitimately believe that the car would be faster if we put bicycle tires on it instead of racing slicks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well it will....

At Bonneville.
    Any views or opinions expressed by me may in no way reflect those of Stewart-Haas Racing, Kettering University, or their employees, students, administrators or sponsors.

From fairs and expositions...

too many people: "Oh, look! A gokart!"

one guy: "Oh, look! A F1!!!"

someone: "Where is the bathroom?"
    me (thinking): "Are you talking about our car?"

A mummy looking at the car thinking to buy it for his little child: "Is it roadable?"

A guy: "Can it go for 400 km?"
    me: "have you ever try an Aprilia engine?" (Why 400???)

a girl: "I'm looking for a job, can I apply?"
    me: ...

a woman: "I'm organizing a fair, would you sponsor me?"
    me: ...

tall girl with miniskirt, high-heleed boots: "Can I try to sit in?"
    me: yes, off course! (at your own risk)
    we had some trouble to get her off the car... she got jammed in the anti-roll bar with her boots.
    Lorenzo Pessa

D-Team UniPisa (alumni of E-Team - Università di Pisa)
    FSG & FSAE-I 2009-2010

Was back at school for the weekend and was shown these gems.

http://forums.bajasae.net/foru...25_page1.html?KW=vxi

http://youtu.be/-Mq3gpBWU1E

Originally posted by t21jj:

In the end it was a teaching moment for young engineers on how to deal with "inventors".

Just don't mention that suspension by name here in these forums, the guy does Google searches to see who's talking about his "creation" then jumps in with both feet (in his mouth).
    Bob Paasch
    Faculty Advisor
    Global Formula Racing team/Oregon State SAE

Originally posted by bob.paasch:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by t21jj:

In the end it was a teaching moment for young engineers on ho to deal with "inventors".

Just don't mention that suspension by name here in these forums, the guy does Google searches to see who's talking about his "creation" then jumps in with both feet (in his mouth). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

After only reading half of it I learned quite a bit about dealing with inventors, and I think you summarized it quite nicely!

My favorite post was about 3 or 4 before it was locked down where one of the "baja godfathers" told him:

www.fsae.com

Take your sh*t and go there and see what they say about it, if you thought it was bad here.
    I will formally resign in advance if the discussion ever does make it here. OK, I may just post once...
    Dr. Adam Witthauer
    Iowa State University 2002-2013 alum

Mad Scientist, Gonzo Racewerks Unincorporated, Intl.

My favorite post was about 3 or 4 before it was locked down where one of the "baja godfathers" told him:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">www.fsae.com

Take your sh*t and go there and see what they say about it, if you thought it was bad here.
    I will formally resign in advance if the discussion ever does make it here. OK, I may just post once... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

+1

+ Reply to Thread
Page 56 of 62 FirstFirst ... 6 46 54 55 56 57 58 ... LastLast