+ Reply to Thread
Page 55 of 62 FirstFirst ... 5 45 53 54 55 56 57 ... LastLast

Thread: Things I love about Formula SAE

Just yelled by our Electronics guy (newbie), after successfully connecting everything on car:

"Now the times I have NOT set the car on fire are more than the ones I have...."

Haha, that ISU Baja team sounds terrible. Though the FSAE Team hasn't had a complete car for competition for the last several years...

****FSAE.com Forums****FSAE.com Forums****Open FSAE Discussion****Things I love about Formula SAE[/quote]
    eply**

****FSAE.com Forums****FSAE.com Forums****Open FSAE Discussion****Things I love about Formula SAE

SAE GUY,

Not exactly true, but close enough that it really doesn't matter.

Maybe it's because we are battling the Baja team so much...

Originally posted by SAE GUY:
    Haha, that ISU Baja team sounds terrible. Though the FSAE Team hasn't had a complete car for competition for the last several years...
    Hmm, SAE GUY, registered today, one post, spouting off this "no complete car" nonsense that frankly I've only heard come from our baja team....

TROLL!!!!

...and for the record, in case anyone else from ISU Baja is here, or any impressionable young ISU formula members, the 2010 car was running a solid 6 weeks or so before competition, the 2009 car competed in every event but endurance, and 2011, well, there was just a lack of management.
    Dr. Adam Witthauer
    Iowa State University 2002-2013 alum

Mad Scientist, Gonzo Racewerks Unincorporated, Intl.

-Going to take some awesome sponsorship photos and finding the only piece of protective equipment you have hanging around is a welding mask...and going anyway.

-Responding to the "are you guys solar car?" question with "yes... yes we are."

-calling the hammer a "variable swing press"

-Turning a drill press into a makeshift mill, and christening it "miller lite"

-Making fun of solar car for trying to weld steel to aluminum
    Matt Schroeder
    University of Calgary FSAE, Schulich Racing

"Racing is life. Everything else is just waiting"

Originally posted by Matt S:
    -Responding to the "are you guys solar car?" question with "yes... yes we are."
    We've lowered ourselves to just saying yes most of the time. Although E-85 comes from corn, which is grown by solar power, so we figure that's close enough. The worst is when people ask us what it runs on, and then we tell them E-85, and then they ask if it's a solar car. There is no rational response to that; when asked that everyone's brain just locks up.

So we decided to ask solar what everyone mistakenly thinks their car is since they think we're solar, and apparently everyone thinks the solar car is a boat.
    Dr. Adam Witthauer

It's ok, Adambomb. At our quad day (while standing next to our car) I was asked if it was made out of concrete, because there is apparently a group at our school that makes a concrete boat.

He proceeded to tell me that he was a Junior in materials science. I proceeded to tell him to join the Baja team
    --
    University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
    http://illinimotorsports.net

apparently everyone thinks the solar car is a boat.
    EVERYONE at our school knows about the solar car. It's probably the "eco" issue that does it.

We tend to point to visible carbon on the car and say "look! solar panels."

I was asked if it was made out of concrete, because there is apparently a group at our school that makes a concrete boat.
    Interestingly enough, there's a civil engg team at our school that makes a concrete toboggan. Never been confused with them however. Maybe that's because they're about as well known around campus as we are...
    Matt Schroeder
    University of Calgary FSAE, Schulich Racing

"Racing is life. Everything else is just waiting"

I love it when our Baja team decides to leave a kitchen trash bag's worth of old fast food bags, energy drink cans, and random junk on the bed of our dually, after using it for one weekend.

It must have been important material since they didn't throw it away. So the formula team nicely cleaned up their valuable belongings and left it for them in their parts cabinet. It must be for the construction of the Baja car.
    Iowa State Formula SAE

Originally posted by Der Krug:
    I love it when our Baja team decides to leave a kitchen trash bag's worth of old fast food bags, energy drink cans, and random junk on the bed of our dually, after using it for one weekend.

It must have been important material since they didn't throw it away. So the formula team nicely cleaned up their valuable belongings and left it for them in their parts cabinet. It must be for the construction of the Baja car.
    Nothing like a good, healthy rivalry.
    Dr. Adam Witthauer

+ Reply to Thread
Page 55 of 62 FirstFirst ... 5 45 53 54 55 56 57 ... LastLast