+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: Formula Student UK 2009, Silverstone: Updates, pictures... the usual

I've read all the posts prior to this, and I feel that I have to say something about them.

This whole thing about the fuel economy is a bit silly. We had the smallest engine in class 1, which generally equals greater fuel efficiency. Everyone could run a 300cc next year and beat our efficiency but then we would have most likely beaten you on the endurance, so it's just a case of how many points you are willing to trade off on. We weren't running slower than foot to the floor through the whole endurance as our final position of 6th will give testament to. At no point did we think that we should back off to conserve fuel, we wanted to finish and finish well which I would like to think that we did.

For my last rant I would just like to say how ridiculous the issues with the fuel scoring are - it's judged the exact same way as everything else! If someone had been 10 minutes faster at the endurance than the next team you would expect the points gap to reflect it wouldn't you?

Anyway, I just want to finish by saying thank you to Delft and Stuttgart in particular for making us feel welcome, but also to all those who gave us a chance.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dan A:
    We had the smallest engine in class 1, which generally equals greater fuel efficiency.

We weren't running slower than foot to the floor through the whole endurance as our final position of 6th will give testament to. At no point did we think that we should back off to conserve fuel, we wanted to finish and finish well which I would like to think that we did.
    </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

With all due respect, this goes back to the point that fuel economy should maybe be linked to laptime. I think you'd admit that the conditions helped offset your power handicap and thus you achieved both a good time and good fuel economy.
    The FSG system would at least take track conditions into account via your laptimes

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by blister:
    The only problem with the FSG rules is, that i doesn`t take into account the track conditions. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> But then I can't think of a motorsport that does really since you are all racing on the same track in the same conditions. Why should teams that have smaller engines and greater fuel economy be given a larger handicap by counting the track times twice? Do they do this in any motorsport?

I will completely agree with you that the weather helped our power deficit and that we might have been doing a rain dance in the pit before the race, but we were still putting in lap times similar to the top teams in the wet (hence why we came 6th) and so surely under the FSG rules we would have gotten even more points for it?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Drew Price:
    <STRIKE>Is this cork IA from one of those wine swilling French teams?</STRIKE>

Just found out that car is from ISEC, in Portugal.

Poisson's ratio = 0 means a creative application.

Best,
    Drew </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Northwestern Formula Racing Alum
    Head Engineer, Frame/Suspension 2006-2009

My '73 Saab 99 Road Race Build

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7