+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Differential Gear

Dear all
    We are a team from Cairo University, this is actually our first year to enter the competition. We have done some researches and decided to work with an engine Honda CBR 600 RR. But we are clueless about the differential gears... Open diff., LSD, Spool diff... the options are too many, Please help us.

Hussein Fahmy
    Cairo University
    Engine & Gear train Leader

First off, define the differences between each. You need to learn what an open diff is (Torque Bias Ratio of zero) a Limited slip diff (variable TBR) and a spool (TBR of infinity.)
    Torque bias ratio is defined as the ratio of torque delivered to the high-traction wheel to the torque delivered to the low-traction, with the limit always set at by the low-traction wheel. Thus, the torque that the high-traction tire generates is the low-traction torque times the TBR.

Decide what kind of TBR you want/need, how it will affect your handling/power delivery characteristics, and that will narrow your choice of differentials - from there, decide what's available, what you can afford, and what you can package.
    Wesley
    OU Sooner Racing Team Alum '09

connecting-rods.blogspot.com

Hussein,

Here is some reading for you...hope this helps

http://www.taylor-race.com/pdf...ng_differentials.pdf

scotty
    Taylor Race Engineering
    scotty@taylor-race.com
    scotty
    Taylor Race
    scotty@taylor-race.com
    taylor-race.com

I was surprised how other teams' diffs were much smaller than ours. The Quaife was one hell of a beast. If we really want to be competitive we should look into lighter alternatives.

(Waiting some marketing info from Scotty )

For God's sake Hussein if you are reading this then check your damn private message inbox and give me a call. I can help you! You don't need to do our mistakes again and I'm not available for long because I'm graduating!!

Eid Mubarak and looking forward for your call.
    Conveyor Systems Design Engineer - EgyRoll
    AUMotorsports Team Leader 09-10
    Alexandria University, Egypt.

The Quaife IS a Heavy option but you could make a custom housing for it.

We don't have the proper materials and heat treatment in our market.

Originally posted by RollingCamel:
    I was surprised how other teams' diffs were much smaller than ours. The Quaife was one hell of a beast. If we really want to be competitive we should look into lighter alternatives.
    Check out the Honda Cam and Pawl Differential. It is pretty light and compact compared to other differentials on the market. There is info on it here in the forums.

It wasn't easy to find and the Honda dealer requested 1000 LE down payment before searching worldwide and we have to go to Cairo to pay. Quite stupid customer service.

Finding an online shop shipping to Egypt is quite a problem too.

hey you can use torsen differential cheap light and efficient..
    Pranav Shinde
    Pune University
    India

Dr. Adam Witthauer
    Iowa State University 2002-2013 alum

Mad Scientist, Gonzo Racewerks Unincorporated, Intl.

+ Reply to Thread