+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ECU software and testing

I'm new to working on ECU's
    I wonder if there is a known procedure for testing the ECU performance...
    Is it useful to simulate the ECU using certain software?
    I didn't find any such software to simulate the ECU ...
    please help
    any ideas how to start on a good procedure for the ECU
    thanks

I'm new to working on ECU's
    I wonder if there is a known procedure for testing the ECU performance...
    Is it useful to simulate the ECU using certain software?
    I didn't find any such software to simulate the ECU ...
    please help
    any ideas how to start on a good procedure for the ECU
    thanks

If you're using a member of the Megasquirt family, it is useful to have a "stim." Megasquirt Stimulators (giggity) The Megastim and JimStim are both useful for simulating sensors and testing the ECU's response in the tuning software. They're especially helpful if you've modified the ECU or are diagnosing a problem.

Some controllers can be calibrated with Matlab/Simulink and I'm guessing that setup would allow you to "simulate" everything pretty easily.
    -----------------------------------
    Matt Birt
    Engine Calibration and Performance Engineer, Enovation Controls
    Former Powertrain Lead, Kettering University CSC/FSAE team
    1st place Fuel Efficiency 2013 FSAE, FSAE West, Formula North
    1st place overall 2014 Clean Snowmobile Challenge

The real question is why? What are you hoping to accomplish. Have you built your own ECU and need to test it. To you want to see if a manufacturers ECU does what it clams to do?
    Alex Weissinger
    ECU Systems Engineer
    Apex Speed Technology
    alex@apexspeedtech.com

wweissin

the issue is that we have an ECU of a team that their car never worked
    so I need to know weather it's working well or not

besides they want to upload different maps and test to see which map is optimum and use it

by the way our engine is a
    GSX-R600
    of a suzuki race motorcycle coming with its own ECU

how can I work on such an ECU
    what tests should I conduct

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Aly:
    by the way our engine is a
    GSX-R600
    of a suzuki race motorcycle coming with its own ECU

how can I work on such an ECU
    what tests should I conduct
    </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If its stock, hook the ecu up to the motor, connect power, fuel, etc. Hit start.

Otherwise, you can collect a bunch of spare sensors, injectors, and coils and lay everything out on a bench. Simulating the cam and crank signals is the hard part which is why doing it on the motor itself is probably easiest. I don't know how robust the starter on the motor is, but if you are low on resources, you can pull the spark plugs and fuel pump and crank the motor over to get all of the required inputs (Just don't crank for long periods of time: long enough to check for spark, fuel injectors, etc, nothing more). I'm not going to explain everything, you should be able to figure it out from there with a little creativity.
    Daniel Wageman
    University of Washington FSAE
    Team 19: Chassis/Data Acq
    Team 20: Data Acq Lead
    Team 21: Engine, Power Package
    Team 22-24: Technical Director

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">. I'm not going to explain everything, you should be able to figure it out from there with a little creativity.
    Daniel Wageman </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Dear wagemd,
    What you're talking about sounds pretty logical and easy (no doubt we would have done similar tests ) but ..........
    what I meant by my question is to know if there a reliable known procedure conducted to test an ECU like for example connecting it with all its ports to a certain module and then connected to the computer .... where a certain software simulates inputs and output as if the ECU is really running on the engine.
    A safe test ,,, a test without messing with anything on the engine .
    An important fact that our engine and ECU are not stock at all,We can't take the risk of ruining anything..at least for the coming 2 months.
    Any way I guess from your answer that the ECU testing procedure goes by improvisation meaning that there is no fixed reliable procedure that is usually followed on these cases.
    Anyway thanks and any help would be appreciated

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Aly:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">. I'm not going to explain everything, you should be able to figure it out from there with a little creativity.
    Daniel Wageman </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Dear wagemd,
    What you're talking about sounds pretty logical and easy (no doubt we would have done similar tests ) but ..........
    what I meant by my question is to know if there a reliable known procedure conducted to test an ECU like for example connecting it with all its ports to a certain module and then connected to the computer .... where a certain software simulates inputs and output as if the ECU is really running on the engine.
    A safe test ,,, a test without messing with anything on the engine .
    An important fact that our engine and ECU are not stock at all,We can't take the risk of ruining anything..at least for the coming 2 months.
    Any way I guess from your answer that the ECU testing procedure goes by improvisation meaning that there is no fixed reliable procedure that is usually followed on these cases.
    Anyway thanks and any help would be appreciated </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    The kind of equipment you suggest using does exist, often known as hardware-in-the-loop (HIL):

http://thedailywtf.com/Articles/The-Test-Machine.aspx

However I would think it completely inappropriate for FSAE.

Regards, Ian

Dear Ian ,
    Thanks alot for trying to help .
    Unfortunately the article is not informative and has nothing to do with our technical work .

I really appreciate your reply and thank you another time for trying to help
    regards
    Aly

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast