+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Texas Autocross Weekend 2009

UTA will be hosting the 9th annual "Texas Autocross Weekend" on 24 through 26 July 2009. The original intent was for Texas and Oklahoma schools to get together, but it has grown to a national event with schools from Texas, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Kansas, Ohio, Canada, Alabama, South Dakota etc. joining us for a weekend of pure FSAE. This is a time to let your hair down and share secrets and drive each other’s cars.

The venue is an open house Friday afternoon at the UTA shop to view our fleet of 20 cars and to do any last minute repairs. Friday night we will have a social at my house to view videos and play games. Saturday will be a practice at UTA's big lot with the 98 FSAE endurance course in the morning and a SCCA-style course in the afternoon. Saturday night will be another get together sponsored by Texas Engineering Systems to hear about features of SolidWorks and Cosmos. On Sunday, we will attend the Equipe Rapide monthly autocross held at Pennington Field on their concrete parking lot.

Saturday's driving is open to anyone and will be timed by our local autocross club Equipe Rapide. ER will allow 3 or 4 drivers per car on Sunday.

Please e-mail me directly if you are interested in attending. All registration details will be handled through e-mails to our distribution list.

-Dr. Bob Woods
    Woods@uta.edu

http://fsae.uta.edu/autox.html

UTA will be hosting the 9th annual "Texas Autocross Weekend" on 24 through 26 July 2009. The original intent was for Texas and Oklahoma schools to get together, but it has grown to a national event with schools from Texas, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Kansas, Ohio, Canada, Alabama, South Dakota etc. joining us for a weekend of pure FSAE. This is a time to let your hair down and share secrets and drive each other’s cars.

The venue is an open house Friday afternoon at the UTA shop to view our fleet of 20 cars and to do any last minute repairs. Friday night we will have a social at my house to view videos and play games. Saturday will be a practice at UTA's big lot with the 98 FSAE endurance course in the morning and a SCCA-style course in the afternoon. Saturday night will be another get together sponsored by Texas Engineering Systems to hear about features of SolidWorks and Cosmos. On Sunday, we will attend the Equipe Rapide monthly autocross held at Pennington Field on their concrete parking lot.

Saturday's driving is open to anyone and will be timed by our local autocross club Equipe Rapide. ER will allow 3 or 4 drivers per car on Sunday.

Please e-mail me directly if you are interested in attending. All registration details will be handled through e-mails to our distribution list.

-Dr. Bob Woods
    Woods@uta.edu

http://fsae.uta.edu/autox.html

We have had indications of intent to enter from the following schools: U Texas at Arlington, U Texas at Austin, Texas A&M, U Kansas, U Oklahoma, Louisiana State U, U New mexico, S Dakota School of Mines and Technology, Auburn U, Missouri Science and Technology, U Missouri-Columbia, Missouri State U, U South Florida, and Iowa State U. This may be our biggest event yet.

We need to complete all registration details by next week. Please e-mail me if you plan to attend. I will only register a school through private e-mail.

-Dr. Bob Woods
    woods@uta.edu

Just have to say, this will be ISU's first Texas Autocross, and I'm pumped! Nothing like a couple late-late-nights working on old cars to get you in the mood.

Looking forward to seeing everyone!
    Dr. Adam Witthauer
    Iowa State University 2002-2013 alum

Mad Scientist, Gonzo Racewerks Unincorporated, Intl.

I think this will be my 5th year and it's always a good time. I wish the Sunday autocross was at Texas World Speedway again, that was a fun/fast track, not to mention having the big boy cars cruising around the oval.

I've been working long nights getting the bach Roadster ready for its debut at UTA. Be sure to stop by and say howdy!

Once again my hat goes off to UT Arlington for putting together a great event.
    I think this was the biggest one I've ever been to. Teams are coming from far and wide and adding a lot to the competition. I can only see this growing, so anyone on the fence really should make the trip. It's fun talking with the other teams and checking out the hardware in a stress free environment. Plus, there are very few opportunities to put in this much driving time against some really good drivers.
    So a big thank you to Dr. Woods, all the UTA guys and gals, and the sponsors for allowing us to have such a good time.
    Can't wait until next year!
    Travis Rouse - Test Pilot - The University of Texas (Austin)
    http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...s/fsae_sig.jpg

Yep, another great Texas Autocross weekend, 100 degree heat, lots of good cars and BBQ.

My apologies for shutting down the track a bit early. Apparently I don't have all the bugs worked out of the Bach Roadster. I think I'm getting an air bubble in the coolant somewhere in the engine that won't bleed out, thus causing excessive pressure, blowing coolant lines and dumping glycol/water on the track. I tried to keep my runs toward the end of the session in case something did happen, so again, sorry if I ruined a couple of your runs.

Anybody from UTA care to share what happened with one of your rear wings? I heard the screeching tires and looked up to see a car with a poor excuse for a kite flying behind it.

Our first Texas Autocross was a blast, thanks again to UTA for putting on such a great event! I'm jealous of your big lot. Next year we'll have to bring fresh rubber so we don't have to make excuses for our poor times!
    Dr. Adam Witthauer
    Iowa State University 2002-2013 alum

Mad Scientist, Gonzo Racewerks Unincorporated, Intl.

+ Reply to Thread