+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Some supercharged engine photos

I think Cornell uses E85 without an IC.

You could try something like this.....

Originally posted by MalcolmG:
    I got your private message but forgot to reply. We have never run an intercooler in a competition because our testing showed it wasn't worth it for the weight/cost/packaging issues on our engine.

I will see if I can find some useful pics but all there is to see is a supercharger with a pipe coming out of it and running to the intake manifold
    I think that pics with "supercharger with a pipe coming out of it" would be enough for me.You have a drive pulley screwed to the crank shaft,padded with o-ring or how?

you may want to check out chalmers if you havent already.

http://web.student.chalmers.se...m_frontpage&Itemid=1

they use yamaha engines, so this is right up your alley.
    Powertrain Team Leader 06-08
    Michigan State University

ok, here's a couple of pics, I couldn't find anything much better sorry

2008 engine:

The outlet from the supercharger enters the plenum from below (yes I know the plenum is kinda ugly, it was our first prototype and the second one was much prettier)

Here's the 2007 engine:

In case you can't tell, the supercharger isn't actually properly attached but is roughly in the correct position. In this year we had the supercharger mounted to the base of the monocoque, which was good for some things but not so good for others. You can't see the plenum very clearly but it is a very simple aluminium side entry type, and the pipe running up the side of the engine goes straight into it. In fact, here's a cad model:

And to answer the final question, the pulley is rigidly bolted onto the end of the crank
    Malcolm Graham
    University of Auckland '06-'09
    www.fsae.co.nz

Looking at Uni of Aucklands set up, Chalmers was something similar. But, in the end, we found using a SC a waste of time. It added weight (even more when you added the intercooler) and complexity and to get the most out of the performance of a supercharger on an NA engine, you need to completely change the cam's. We found that in reality it was a blacksmiths tool i.e. a hammer, rather than good engineering. Thats why CFS07 went from being supercharged at FSUK07, to NA at FSAE-W08. On direct comparison between the two, the NA was preferred and performed better!

But, if you want more information, speak with MTTech on here. He did all the work and is at BMW now.
    Everthing you want is just outside your comfort zone!

Originally posted by JR @ JLR:
    Looking at Uni of Aucklands set up, Chalmers was something similar. But, in the end, we found using a SC a waste of time. It added weight (even more when you added the intercooler) and complexity and to get the most out of the performance of a supercharger on an NA engine, you need to completely change the cam's. We found that in reality it was a blacksmiths tool i.e. a hammer, rather than good engineering. Thats why CFS07 went from being supercharged at FSUK07, to NA at FSAE-W08. On direct comparison between the two, the NA was preferred and performed better!

But, if you want more information, speak with MTTech on here. He did all the work and is at BMW now.
    That's an interesting take on things, I strongly disagree and think the value/cost of using a supercharger depends highly on how you implement it and what you do to capitalise on the benefits it gives.
    Malcolm Graham
    www.fsae.co.nz

To MalcolmG:Thanks a lot! That excatly what I'm looking for. The 2nd generations looks very good,I think it would be possible to fit an air to air IC between the SC and the intake manifold. Also exhaust piping is interesting but I understand that it is the only precautions of heating the suction by the exhaust and it is also much shorter than piping below the engine's crankcase. Don't you now how many +horsepowers you really get out of it?This is my last question :-) Thank you so much for pics one more time.

well the supercharger reduces maximum possible power if anything, because you can still choke the restrictor without a supercharger, and rotating the supercharger uses some of the engine's energy. It does make for a very drivable powerband and very fast throttle response, which is the major reason for our use of it.
    Malcolm Graham
    www.fsae.co.nz

Yep, I agree with you. Implementation is the key part. Bolting an SC to an NA engine and hoping it will improve your performance (which it does to a certain degree) massively is niave. Looking at how you can adapt an NA engine to maximise the SC and implementing those changes, will certainly pay off. I'd like to see a strong arguement for it after my own personal experience. I look forward to seeing FE figures too

I'll make sure to leave my prejudice in the parking lot when I see you at FSAE-A09
    Everthing you want is just outside your comfort zone!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast