+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: The Royces say Goodbye

Let us all bow our heads, and take in this last installment of the Gospel, the Book of Royce, book B3, verse 20.4:

"B3.20.4 Impact Attenuator Anti-Intrusion Plate – Clarified – To simplify this requirement anti-intrusion
    plates are now required on ALL cars."

You will be missed.

Tell Suzanne thanks again for teaching our team the finer points of proper safety-harness adornment, they are tidbits we pass on to any new member joining our ranks at the first opportunity, and is the sort of attention to detail in education that draws us to be involved in the competition.

Maybe I'll see you bumming around the paddocks sometime in the future.

Best,
    Drew

Northwestern Formula Racing Alum
    Head Engineer, Frame/Suspension 2006-2009

My '73 Saab 99 Road Race Build

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Drew Price:
    Let us all bow our heads, and take in this last installment of the Gospel, the Book of Royce, book B3, verse 20.4:

"B3.20.4 Impact Attenuator Anti-Intrusion Plate – Clarified – To simplify this requirement anti-intrusion
    plates are now required on ALL cars."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yet another Columbia rule...
    Mountain Lion Motorsports

I can't help but think about FS Italy and that it might not have been such a disastrous event from an organisational (E85) and safety point of view, of Michael Royce had been there.

I hope you will still visit Silverstone and Hockenheim 2010. (I'm not suggesting that these events would go the same route as FS Italy, if he doesn't come)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mikey Antonakakis:

Yet another Columbia rule... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Care to explain?
    SAE @ University of Central Florida

Random 08-09
    Team Leader 09-10
    Electrical Lead 10-11
    Electrical Lead 11-12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by coastertrav:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mikey Antonakakis:

Yet another Columbia rule... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Care to explain? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Well, our impact attenuator mounting plate did not extend to all four members that make up the front box, but only the side two. We went up the ranks of tech spec judges arguing our case that it was indeed allowed by the rules, or at least not clarified enough to keep us from being able to compete. We stuck to our guns, and ended up talking to Michael Royce, and he agreed with us, though he mentioned that rule would be changed this year.

The reason it is yet another Columbia rule, is that perhaps our biggest claim to fame so far in this competition is the rule about how intakes cannot be solidly mounted to a chassis. This happened a few years ago to us. The chassis flexed while accelerating during the brake test, the intake manifold (which was rigidly mounted to the chassis) cracked, and the engine ran wide open. The killswitch was not easily accessible by the driver (behind the steering wheel), so for whatever reason, if I remember the story correctly, he jumped out of the car before it crashed into some hay bales. So yeah, intake mounting and killswitch location are also rules we take credit for

Finally, on behalf of my team, thanks again for your fairness and for allowing us to compete last year. You will be missed, but hopefully we'll see you in Michigan this year.

Sincerely,
    The guy who spends too much time on the internet
    Mountain Lion Motorsports

I believe Anti Intrusion plates used to be required only for foam and honeycomb attenuators. So teams with carbon/kevlar nosecone style attenuators or other kinds did not need the plate according to the old rules. Now it's required for everyone.

I wouldn't say it's because of one team. Just a rule for all style attenuators to focus on the safety for all drivers.

Thank-you for your many years of service to the student engineering community. Your contribution has elevated the competition to higher heights and ensured an impeccable safety record. Your efforts have had an undoubtedly positive effect.

I've stood next to several cars and argued the finer points of the rules with you and your officials, as have countless others. This was always seen as a natural part of the competition, as many innovations challenge the intent of the rules. It's disappointing that a small faction of these have had such a negative experience with this process. Perhaps our friends in Formula 1 have been setting a bad example. Why can't they just get on the business of racing without all the silly-gate scandals?

Finally, I hope your replacements continue to exercise careful discretion in the spirit of the competition.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3