+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The wrong way to test an impact attenuator

I think I remember Mike Cook talking about how impact attenuator testing is going to end up hurting more people then helping. I am starting to agree.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...SPYqteE&feature=grec

I think I remember Mike Cook talking about how impact attenuator testing is going to end up hurting more people then helping. I am starting to agree.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...SPYqteE&feature=grec

It was so much dangerous!!

And as we can see, the forces must be less than the requirement ( around 10 Gs).

Somebody needs to frame by frame this video! That kid almost ate steering wheel. He might want to pull those straps a little tighter next time!

-Kirk

No fire suit, no helmet, no gloves, no wrist restraints, speed based off a motorbike running next to the car, super loose belts and stuff flying around my head that gets knocked loose. Thats just the way I like to test my impact attenuators.

/sarcasm

In all actuality, this is why my team did our slow speed crush test instead of dropping weights or anything to do a high speed test. Its nice to know what happens in a real life crash, but its not worth the risk of someone getting hurt in the process if you don't have proper facilities to do so.
    Chris Noll
    UB Motorsports Formula SAE: RIP 1987-2010

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster."- Jeremy Clarkson

300 kgs was quite problematic and dangerous. We had weights in around 50-70 kg it was heavy to shovel around and the apparatus was dangerous.

I have designed our tower and checked for buckling and other stuff. However, i was worried if the structure may fail since i tried to save weight. The stress and buckling analysis was good but anything could happen. In one test our improvised quick release reengaged after the barrel fell 20-30 cm testing the structure.

Although shouting not to remove the impact attenuator by your legs some are quite stupid to do so, namely our incompetent camera man.

It was cool, but it some ppl may do stupid things and doesn't give shit about their own safety.
    Conveyor Systems Design Engineer - EgyRoll
    AUMotorsports Team Leader 09-10
    Alexandria University, Egypt.

Conveyor Systems Design Engineer - EgyRoll
    AUMotorsports Team Leader 09-10
    Alexandria University, Egypt.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TorqueWrench:
    No fire suit, no helmet, no gloves, no wrist restraints, speed based off a motorbike running next to the car, super loose belts and stuff flying around my head that gets knocked loose. Thats just the way I like to test my impact attenuators.

/sarcasm

In all actuality, this is why my team did our slow speed crush test instead of dropping weights or anything to do a high speed test. Its nice to know what happens in a real life crash, but its not worth the risk of someone getting hurt in the process if you don't have proper facilities to do so. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

+1

Dr. Adam Witthauer
    Iowa State University 2002-2013 alum

Mad Scientist, Gonzo Racewerks Unincorporated, Intl.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast