+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why does this forum appear to be dead?

Unhappy Why does this forum appear to be dead?

Is it just me that is seeing this?

Did COVID ruin forums too?

Apparently there are over 300 people visiting this site while Reddit only has say 30.

However, nobody has posted here for a year.

How long has this site had HTTPS issues?

The formatting is broken on my desktop but I can still open it on my phone.
    Electrical Engineering
    Lakehead University, ON, Canada

Welcome stranger. My foggy memory is that some old school (non-PC, etc) posters scared away all the students...who then migrated to Reddit/r/fsae and perhaps other sites. I won't name names, just to be polite. Personally, I can't stand Reddit (ads everywhere, weird navigation, stuff jumping around on screen), so I check here for signs of new life.

While I don't know the owners of FSAE.com, it has been functioning just fine for me--see my infrequent updates on the Tire Test Consortium. The web interface works same as ever in Firefox under Windows. Search takes a little time to figure out, but generally works OK. There is a huge wealth of experience archived here, hope you stick around and bring a few pioneers back to explore.

Well said Doug.
    I wholeheartedly agree with you. I will add that the situation does hurt me on a personal level as i have had good relationships with many of the "bad actors" that made the site unpopular,
    but i will acknowledge that my relationships with these people was and continues to be in a different context than mentor - student.
    Ironically, i'm seeing more "tough love" on the Reddit site, but nothing i would consider abusive or offensive.
    Moving forward, i think it will require some trust and understanding from all parts of the community to move this forward.
    Posters of inquiries will have to acknowledge and respect that many industry professionals such as yourself expect, and frankly deserve inquiries more focused than
    "what's the best suspension for FSAE" type questions. Any poster should be able to ask focused questions. After all, no one got into school by writing "i want to go to your school to learn" as their sole application.
    There is a wealth of good knowledge here, valid and helpful to the community, that needs to be accessed, and to be grown upon.
    At this point, i think all participants and stake holders should be willing to move forward while acknowledging past shortcomings.
    Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by John McCrory View Post
    Well said Doug.
    [...]
    There is a wealth of good knowledge here, valid and helpful to the community, that needs to be accessed, and to be grown upon.
    At this point, i think all participants and stake holders should be willing to move forward while acknowledging past shortcomings.
    Thanks again!
    John, you are welcome and it's nice to see you here again. For anyone that reads this, follow this link to John's "intro" post to this forum:
    http://www.fsae.com/forums/showthrea...071&viewfull=1
    And then read some of the follow-on comments from design judges...

+ Reply to Thread