+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lap time simulation

Lap time simulation

I am a first year (going on second) and I was researching lap time simulation. I got through CS160, so I know a little python. The search function is going bananas. Any suggestion for sources of where to start coding a lap time simulation. I have found resources like matlab and what not. But they just discuss it at a high level without getting into how to code it. I own the nowlin, milliken and rowley books. The 2 most prominent suggestions were from people that make software for simulation...which were buy my software. lol. Is there a race car simulation for dummies?

Quote Originally Posted by speedfreak24.7 View Post
    Any suggestion for sources of where to start coding a lap time simulation.
    If you want to see what others have done, there is a lot of info on this forum. The Search isn't very good so use Google site search, this string gave me ~60 hits, many of them are worth reading:
    site:fsae.com "lap time simulation"

If you want cookbook code, that's going to be harder to find!

OptimumLap is free of charge. It is simplified but still useful mass point lap time simulation software. It will give you a good idea of of the minium your software should be doing.
    Claude Rouelle
    OptimumG president
    Vehicle Dynamics & Race Car Engineering
    Training / Consulting / Simulation Software
    FS & FSAE design judge USA / Canada / UK / Germany / Spain / Italy / China / Brazil / Australia
    [url]www.optimumg.com[/u

Welcome back FSAE.com ! Not sure what was wrong, but it's been several days (or a week) that I couldn't access the site.

A good book of equations is The Science of Vehicle Dynamics by Guiggiani. It's similar to RCVD, but contains a lot of the lower level math and equations to start making a lapsim.
    The OptimumG technical papers are also a good reference.

+ Reply to Thread