+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: car engine for fsae

Oh man...! I had a great post about using an OS model airplane engine and its gotta go through the 'Can I post Gods'.

Shoots.

This is little degresion, but...
    I think Fsae should allow 2 stroke engines, maybe with reduced displacement, or maybe diffrent restrictor.
    Maybe then some team would opt for designing theri own engine.

It's been done with a four-stroke, Google "Western Washington FSAE Viking XXX" and it's the first link to come up.

I'd post the link except it can take days to get approved.

It never competed because it required an external starting mechanism (quick-jack like you see a lot of Jr. Dragsters, etc run) while the rules require it to be self-starting.

....and the Wattard engine.
    Powertrain Team Leader 06-08
    Michigan State University

this should be easy since im assuming you're in asia somewhere... get 2 of the honda 250cc I-6 bike engines, and put them together in a V formation... BAM! 500cc v-12 that can rev to ~18,000 rpm's!
    Any views or opinions expressed by me may in no way reflect those of Stewart-Haas Racing, Kettering University, or their employees, students, administrators or sponsors.

Hector,
    For the record, my memory says that because the rule was not specific at that time, the SAE ruled that the WWWU car would be allowed to run EXCEPT in the Endurance Event. Everybody wanted to see and hear it run, However, it did not. My understanding is that the team was not able to get it to run properly at the competition, and traced the problem to a fuel supply issue when they got back home.

Originally posted by barba_p:
    This is little degresion, but...
    I think Fsae should allow 2 stroke engines, maybe with reduced displacement, or maybe diffrent restrictor.
    Maybe then some team would opt for designing theri own engine.
    We've talked about this too. Think it would be pretty cool if you could have 2 strokes up to maybe 350 cc, perhaps different restrictor requirements too. Also diesels, why not? Maybe let them go up to 750 cc or a liter.

As for building custom engines, a 2 stroke would be considerably easier. Hmm...2-stroke V8, and with the extra time/money you have by not doing a valvetrain you could even give it electric start...
    Dr. Adam Witthauer
    Iowa State University 2002-2013 alum

Mad Scientist, Gonzo Racewerks Unincorporated, Intl.

Why would you need different engine rules? The two stroke can't get any more air, its no different to allowing turbos etc. And the diesel restrictor could be adjusted, in the same way as it is for E85, to allow the same energy content.

You could even go to the point of equivelent energy content of hydrogen and allow that to. This would even be possible for fuel cells, allowing that technology to compete with I.C.

Pete

Pete: See Class 1A rules for FSUK.

There should be another custom engine at FSAE-A in 2010.
    ---------------------------
    2006 QUT Motorsport - Manufacturing Manager
    2007 QUT Motorsport - Controversy Raiser
    2008 University of Waterloo Formula Motorsports - Exchange Student / Electrical Team Manager
    2009 The University of Adelaide Motorspo

No. I'm growing tired of people like you and these forums.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast