+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 2018 FSAE Michigan

We have learned our lesson in Italy, in 2013. We always design around that rule, and always check that too once we have a rolling chassis; however that year the diff was set up too tight to suit the drivers' preferences. The car was able to do both with a bit of oversteer, but not in a standing pace that was implied by other cars slowing down too much for these hairpins, thus leading to a black flag. From that point onwards, the cars can make it through 2 consecutive minimum radius ones with 30cm or so to spare.

Quote Originally Posted by mech5496 View Post
    We have learned our lesson in Italy, in 2013. We always design around that rule, and always check that too once we have a rolling chassis; however that year the diff was set up too tight to suit the drivers' preferences. The car was able to do both with a bit of oversteer, but not in a standing pace that was implied by other cars slowing down too much for these hairpins, thus leading to a black flag. From that point onwards, the cars can make it through 2 consecutive minimum radius ones with 30cm or so to spare.

I don't enjoy when the minimum turn radius is used. It's not fun to drive, it's not fun to watch, and the only people who like it are those who want to throw a "gotcha" out there just to make sure you're paying attention.
    This is especially with regard to cars that are designed to work well at balanced force steer conditions but may not operate well at all at parking lot, geometric steer conditions.
    Kettering University Vehicle Dynamics
    Formula SAE 2010 - 2015
    Clean Snowmobile Powertrain 2012 - 2015

Boogityland 2015 - Present

Quote Originally Posted by MCoach View Post
    It's not fun to drive, it's not fun to watch, ...
    Perhaps offer style/bonus points to everyone that "drifts" around the pin turn?
    [note, I'm not being completely serious here, but this might generate some discussion?]

Quote Originally Posted by MCoach View Post
    I don't enjoy when the minimum turn radius is used. It's not fun to drive, it's not fun to watch, and the only people who like it are those who want to throw a "gotcha" out there just to make sure you're paying attention.
    This is especially with regard to cars that are designed to work well at balanced force steer conditions but may not operate well at all at parking lot, geometric steer conditions.
    But does it matter if it's not fun to drive or watch? FSAE isn't really in the market for viewers and/or paying drivers.

That being said, I do love watching (and hearing) indycars come around the hairpin at the Long Beach GP, and then accelerate down the straight.
    "Man, I need to practice more!" - Kenny Wallace
    "Try not to have a good time... this is supposed to be educational." - Charles M Schulz
    -OptimumG 2005-2006
    -Turner Motorsports 2008-2009
    -Black Swan Racing 2010 & 2011 Team and Driver's Champions
    -HPD Race Engineer 2011-2014
    -Currently Freelance Data/Race Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by js10coastr View Post
    That being said, I do love watching (and hearing) indycars come around the hairpin at the Long Beach GP, and then accelerate down the straight.

I like it when the CanAm cars come around it even better....

Northwestern Formula Racing Alum
    Head Engineer, Frame/Suspension 2006-2009

My '73 Saab 99 Road Race Build

Visual Sudio

My best memories are watching right in front of you an F1 car approching a small radius turn at maximum decel. You are in dis-belief that the car is seems to be going WAY too fast to even survive the turn. It's a play on your stereotype of what vehicle physics can and can not do. TV doesn't begin to show you the effect because the depth of field is to short.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2