+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gear Indicator - Yamaha YFZ450R

Gear Indicator - Yamaha YFZ450R

Hi y'all

My team last year installed a gear indicator into our engine.
    - The way we did it involved attaching a potentiometer onto a modified shift barrel.
    - The modified shift barrel had a rod sticking out of the enigine case (which stuck out from drilling a hole into the engine case).
    - Attached to the rod sticking out was a potentiometer and at a given voltage from the position of the shift barrel, the read out would be the gear shown on the front dash.

The problem is this resulted in an oil leak which we have not found a solution for. The leak comes from the seal of the drilled out part on the shift barrel not being tight enough.
    It is a delicate balance of not being to tight so shifting is easy but tight enough to be a good seal.

Does anyone know of another way to get the gear indication functioning properly on a YFZ450R?
    -Or- does anyone know of a solution to our problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Friscomelt26 View Post
    Hi y'all

My team last year installed a gear indicator into our engine.
    - The way we did it involved attaching a potentiometer onto a modified shift barrel.
    - The modified shift barrel had a rod sticking out of the enigine case (which stuck out from drilling a hole into the engine case).
    - Attached to the rod sticking out was a potentiometer and at a given voltage from the position of the shift barrel, the read out would be the gear shown on the front dash.

The problem is this resulted in an oil leak which we have not found a solution for. The leak comes from the seal of the drilled out part on the shift barrel not being tight enough.
    It is a delicate balance of not being to tight so shifting is easy but tight enough to be a good seal.

Does anyone know of another way to get the gear indication functioning properly on a YFZ450R?
    -Or- does anyone know of a solution to our problem?
    I never bothered with the shift barrel...just divide wheel speed / engine speed and find the ratio that way. Also used the neutral sensor (I don't know for sure if your engine has it, but I assume all motorcycle engines do...) to help. Obviously doesn't work when the clutch is slipping or engaged, but saves me the trouble of having to modify the transmission / crankcase.
    University of Missouri - Mizzou Racing | 2015 - ????

That; easiest way to do this. Obviously ito does not work when not moving, but that's the neutral switch for. Out of curiosity, why you need to know the gear you are in?

Make the hole in the engine a free home and add an o ring to the shaft or end of the shift drum.
    Last edited by Dylan Edmiston; 04-19-2018 at 04:26 PM.
    University of Florida - Gator Motorsports
    Project Manager (2012 - 2013)
    Electrical System Leader (2010 - 2015)
    Powertrain/Engine Tuner (2011 - 2015)

How thick is the engine case? Aluminum or steel? Attach a magnet to the shifter barrel and a Hall sensor on the outside if ally.

Thank you all for your helpful responses to a first time poster
    -William

+ Reply to Thread