+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Design Judging

Design Judging

Who do I need to contact to see if design judges are still needed for Michigan?

Experience: 4 years with a Championship winning NASCAR team.
    Trent Strunk
    University of Kansas
    Jayhawk Motorsports
    2010-2014

Now in NASCAR land. Boogity.
    Opinions Are My Own

Steve Fox is the man. PM'd you the contact.
    Sid Attravanam
    ----------------------------------
    Susension/Vehicle Dynamics, UTA FSAE Alum (2009-2012)
    Vehicle Dynamics, Cooper Tire & Rubber Company

If you serve at Michigan, now that Z has judged at Australasia, are there any regular posters left who aren't DJs?
    Charles Kaneb
    Magna International
    FSAE Lincoln Design Judge - Frame/Body/Link judging area. Not a professional vehicle dynamicist.

I pop in every once in a while, just a lowly tech inspector.
    Owen Thomas
    University of Calgary FSAE, Schulich Racing

Charles, I don't really think so, which is super unfortunate. Seems like the area that every US team (Canada too probably?) outside of Oregon State and ETS is struggling with is knowledge transfer and "knowledge building". The Germans, Austrians, etc seem to continuously build their knowledge base and abilities, but American teams tend now to go on 3 to 5 year runs, then experience sharp declines. I always felt like when I started out that this forum was a great resource outside of alumni and experienced memebers to actually learn things you needed to as well as have students and judges open up the possibilities of what you can do. Seems like the Facebook and Reddit FSAE groups now are more interested in seeing what everyone else is doing or complaining. You don't really see the super helpful vehicle dynamics or team building posts that members would put here. But maybe after 4 years away from the competition I'm becoming an old man and I just don't see those conversations happening (doesn't mean they aren't somewhere)..."GET OFF MY LAWN!"
    Trent Strunk
    University of Kansas
    Jayhawk Motorsports
    2010-2014

Now in NASCAR land. Boogity.
    Opinions Are My Own

Quote Originally Posted by theTTshark View Post
    Charles, I don't really think so, which is super unfortunate. Seems like the area that every US team (Canada too probably?) outside of Oregon State and ETS is struggling with is knowledge transfer and "knowledge building". The Germans, Austrians, etc seem to continuously build their knowledge base and abilities, but American teams tend now to go on 3 to 5 year runs, then experience sharp declines. I always felt like when I started out that this forum was a great resource outside of alumni and experienced memebers to actually learn things you needed to as well as have students and judges open up the possibilities of what you can do. Seems like the Facebook and Reddit FSAE groups now are more interested in seeing what everyone else is doing or complaining. You don't really see the super helpful vehicle dynamics or team building posts that members would put here. But maybe after 4 years away from the competition I'm becoming an old man and I just don't see those conversations happening (doesn't mean they aren't somewhere)..."GET OFF MY LAWN!"
    Yes European have a more professional organization (as it is in their racing habits). But look at India and Brazil: they are coming. And coming quick. They are coming from nearly nowhere but they ask the right questions, they are learning how to simulate and how to test quickly. Thar are hungry, more hungry than US and OZ students, no offense it is a reality that I see several times a year after year, that I see it every year. I would not be surprised to have an Indian team in the top 10 of FSG within 3 or 4 years

As far as the FSAE forum (Vs Facebook discussion groups) slower and slower pace and usefulness, who is it to blame? Facebook efficiency or FSAE lack of marketing and international communication? This forum is mainly a US thing. You see many German, Japanese, Indian,... people here?

Aging? Aging quickly? Well, aren't you in Nascar?....
    Last edited by Claude Rouelle; 03-15-2018 at 03:29 PM.
    Claude Rouelle
    OptimumG president
    Vehicle Dynamics & Race Car Engineering
    Training / Consulting / Simulation Software
    FS & FSAE design judge USA / Canada / UK / Germany / Spain / Italy / China / Brazil / Australia
    [url]www.optimumg.com[/u

If you ask the Reddit or Facebook groups, it is because this place is toxic with posters being called out and shamed by people like Claude and Z too regularly. I mostly see people migrating towards platforms they are more comfortable with. Traditional forums in general are dying, sadly. I personally despise trying to find information on a topic through Facebook.

It does seem like there isn't as much technical discussion on FB or Reddit. I can't think of the last time I saved a discussion from either of those. That said, they both have groups of people who genuinely enjoy helping, just like here. Just not my preferred place.

On the topic of knowledge transfer, it seems like US teams on average aren't as serious about FSAE as overseas. There's also the minority of school-run/senior design teams that intentionally limit knowledge transfer to maintain ambiguity going into capstone courses. They care far more about making sure students adhere to their version of learning the Design Process than they do about FSAE progress or results. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, but it is a contributing factor to lack of progression.

Quote Originally Posted by coleasterling View Post
    If you ask the Reddit or Facebook groups,...
    I've heard the "shaming" explanation too, and certainly agree that an unexpected dressing-down can be a shock. On the other hand, the usual suspects have been posting here in the same way, for many years (at least that's my impression). So, why the drop off at this time? I have a hunch that there are some other explanations.

Anyone? Why did you stop posting on FSAE.com? Anything to do with access to these pages over a phone (instead of larger screen)?

Personally, I hate trying to follow anything on Reddit, and have no use at all for Facebook. I'm sticking here for now.

other options are viable now
    I suppose this is possible, but the first two moderators on Reddit seem to have been there for ~7 years now. Perhaps it took 5 or 6 years to get to some critical size? Tried to search for early posts, but the search function doesn't seem to have the ability to sort by "oldest first" (??), or to look for posts from specific previous years. Or maybe searching on Reddit gets better if logged in (I wasn't).

I've stopped/slowed down as work has taken up more and more of my time. Also, I feel that I can contribute less to some of the discussions... that and there have been less that have piqued my interest.

I'd say a lot of the more recent threads are further into the theoretical/mathematical than I'm comfortable and/or experienced with.

On the global-internet side, I feel that there is a general move away from forums. It's hard to read a ~100 page long post to get to the current state of discussion, and yes facebook is easy and addicting to get updates on.

I would say that I'm now using the forums more as a reference book or "encyclopedia" if you will, and facebook for updates, short discussions and photos from teams.
    "Man, I need to practice more!" - Kenny Wallace
    "Try not to have a good time... this is supposed to be educational." - Charles M Schulz
    -OptimumG 2005-2006
    -Turner Motorsports 2008-2009
    -Black Swan Racing 2010 & 2011 Team and Driver's Champions
    -HPD Race Engineer 2011-2014
    -Currently Freelance Data/Race Engineer

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast